Thread: Diving video
View Single Post
Old 11th June 2018, 22:23   #70  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
Actually I just figured out an easier way to do the channel 'reconstruction' (redistribution) using what Resolve calls a 'Splitter-Combiner' node - basically splits the input into monochrome R,G, B channels with a separate node for each, so you can work on them independently, and combines them again. What I've done is to create blend (composite) overlays (layer nodes) between the monochrome G and R nodes and G and B nodes, with the G feed as the top layer and 'Add' as the blend mode. In that way, the redistribution of G channel luminance can be controlled by balancing the opacities (key gain in Resolve) of the two layer nodes. Fine tuning is then largely a matter of adjusting Color Temperature/Tint. Works very nicely and much easier than nudging individual sub-channel values.

Thinking about what I said earlier....

....That's something that could applied in AVISynth (I think) - a Channel Mixer function (with sub-aqua absorption biases in mind) controlled via layer blend opacities.
On wider testing I'm beginning to see the limitations of this approach. Works well for 'reconstructing' depleted red channel data when there is a dominant green or blue cast, but less useful in reaching a balanced outcome when there is a higher content of concealed ('what should be') red colored subjects to be 'exposed', especially when the dominant cast is not blue or green, but somewhere in between. In such cases the RB and BR sub-channels play a greater role in tuning the mix. I'm not sure if I can assimilate that in the Resolve 'splitter-combiner node' based 'blender' I concocted without it becoming overly convoluted. In which case it's probably easier to adjust the RGB Mixer channels directly. Seemed a good idea anyway.

Last edited by WorBry; 11th June 2018 at 22:28.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote