View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 09:38   #14719  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
@arrgh: The only way to store Dolby Vision data in Matroska is if it is embedded in the video stream and is copied with the video stream into the Matroska file by the muxer. (I don't know how Dolby Vision is stored in the video stream if it is stored in the video stream so I don't know if the Dolby data looks like invalid/garbage data and is therefore likely filtered out by muxers.) Even if the data ends up in the file, no indication of this would be stored at the container level, there is no header element saying "This track contains Dolby Vision data". I don't think that this can be meaningfully extracted as a separate track (if it is shown as a separate track, then it is likely not stored in the video stream, so it has its own PID and one could "extract the track by using a PID filter).
There are 2 ways to store Dolby Vision. One as SEI messages in the base video stream. On Blu-Ray it seems they use a second "track" instead. As you say there isn't really any way to "properly" copy that into mkv yet.