View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 10:51   #2021  |  Link
Pawpcorn

Problem with colored sub-idx subtitles [SOLVED!]

Dear Mr. C;

Sorry for the delay in followup!!! I've been very busy in my "day job" (hahaha Teaching Thai Students in "Summer Session")

AHH!!! I figured out the problem with the red and blue VOB subtitles!!

The color values in the AVStoDVD "_palette.txt" (MuxMan batch -palette settings file) actually produce the Red characters with Blue outline!

However, if you change (the contents of the file to) the following values... the result is White characters with a black outline:
Color 0=0, 0, 0
Color 1=240, 240, 240
Color 2=0, 0, 0
Color 3=255, 255, 255
Color 4=1, 254, 0
Color 5=255, 0, 254
Color 6=255, 255, 0
Color 7=1, 124, 124
Color 8=125, 125, 125
Color 9=225, 225, 225
Color 10=123, 0, 1
Color 11=0, 124, 0
Color 12=1, 0, 123
Color 13=222, 1, 253
Color 14=221, 125, 0
Color 15=125, 0, 124

Note: (besides the format of TAB -TAB prior to data) that I chose 240, instead of 255 for the white characters, on the advice of another member here... as perhaps slightly more pleasing to the eye than 100% white.
=============================================
If you're interested in how I arrived at this solution, this was the deductive process:

I read the link you provided regarding MuxMan. Very Interesting! Thanks!

I looked in the MuxMan folder in the AVStoDVD folder group, at the documentation file: BatchMux Usage.txt

Within the documentation was the description of usage for the -palette file, as follows:
===========================================
// -palette palette_file, optional; PgcEdit compatible ascii file containing
// 16 colour entries (index, red, green, blue) adopted for redefining the
// default color palette used by MuxMan
============================================
Which, upon seeing the reference to PgcEdit, made me think...

I had previously used PgcEdit to fix an earlier DVD's VOB subtitles (to change Red and Blue to White and Black), made with AVStoDVD... so...

I opened that corrected DVD into PgcEdit, and went into the PgcEditor... confirming that the colors were White Character, and Black Outline.

Then I "Export"ed the correct Sub-Picture Color Lookup Table, in ASCII format. The resultant file was called "vts01_ttn01.txt"

Then I tried "Import"ing the "DVD_39_Palette.txt" file, which AVStoDVD had created, in earlier tests. To my surprise, the color palette switched to Red Characters and Blue Outline!
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...tteresults.jpg

Then I imported the "vts01_ttn01.txt" palette file I'd just created, above. The color palette switched back to the proper colors:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ookupTable.jpg

I went back and forth a few times to confirm and double-check! (because, frankly, your numbers HAD looked good to me too!! hahahaha)

So... Anyway, clear results.

Then, as a workaround, for the time being, when I am processing a DVD with AVStoDVD, I set the "Edit Encoder Command Parameters at Runtime" as checked, and when the MuxMan batch parameters appear, I substitute in the "vts01_ttn01.txt" file, in place of the "DVD_nn_Palette.txt" file in the "-palette "C:\Users\Gerald\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_nn_Palette.txt" portion of the MuxMan batch file, and tell it to proceed, with perfect results.

As you suggested, I emailed you the two files mentioned above, to possibly assist you in your further development.
(Check your junk mail, if you don't see it... I included a hyperlink to this message, which might make it look like junk mail)

And THANK YOU again, for your wonderful creation!!!! I use it EVERY day(!!!!) in creating learning DVD movies (English soundtrack, Thai and English subtitles) to help my Thai students learn English rather effortlessly.

Without your creation, this wouldn't be possible!!! Kudos!!!
Take care,
Pawpcorn
==========================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpcorn View Post
Thank you, Mr.C, for your speedy reply!

I'm researching what you gave me...
I DO see the nice "_palette.txt" file, with the proper contents of:

and the batch file for MuxMan is as follows... {just in case you spot anything }

And yet... looking at the resultant Sub-Picture Color Lookup Table, Using PgcEdit (see link at Photo Bucket)
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/.../PGCEditor.png
You can see color 0 is set to Blue, and color 1 is set to Red, thus red characters with a blue outline.

I haven't started researching your link about MuxMan yet... but I wanted to thank you, and give you this additional feedback, in case it is helpful to you, if you have the opportunity to look into this problem.

I'd be happy to send you (not sure how!) the short test video and the idx/sub sub files used for this latest test.

Thanks again,
Pawpcorn
P.S. The "foreground color is defined in 'Preferences'/'AuthoringBurning' page" that you mentioned, appears to be used for .srt subtitles, and is not in play, when using .idx/.sub VOB subtitles.

Last edited by Pawpcorn; 17th May 2012 at 11:00. Reason: added "check junk mail" note.... :)
Pawpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote