View Single Post
Old 21st July 2019, 13:14   #4  |  Link
TCmullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I would strongly suggest you to use a better indexer, like FFMpegSource2, LWLibavVideoSource, LSMASH or DGAVCDecode.
DirectShowSource uses your internal codec installed in the OS to decode the video and it's thought to be not as frame accurate as other indexers; for this reason I consider it to be ok-ish for quick and dirt view, but you should use better alternatives when they are available.
That said, if you really wanna use DirectShowSource to open pretty much any source, make sure you have the LAV Filters (Decoders) installed.
If you want, you can install the K-Lite Codec Pack which installs pretty much any codec you need (including the LAV Filters / Decoders).

Cheers,
Frank.
I specifically have to use DSS because it's a darn VFR video. And I've learned that it can have certain extra clauses so as to read:
DirectShowSource("2018-09-21.1900.wv.MS-v-FL.1sec-sample.mp4", fps=59.94, convertfps=true)

"...uses your internal codec installed in the OS to decode the video and it's thought to be not as frame accurate as other indexers..." It is certainly extremely frame accurate when the several video players play the file (assuming directshow is what the players are using). So when I see the players playing it right, and DSS has the convertfps feature (which i've SEEN to solve the VFR problem before), it makes sense to use DSS this time.

I've had K-lite installed in past systems, but I'm not crazy about it. I can't remember why, but vaguely recall it may have messed up a system. I DO have ffdshow with "audio decoder configuration". It has AAC set to "libavcodec". (vs "disabled" or "libfaad2") Does this tell us anything?

Is THIS what I need?
https://www.fosshub.com/LAV-Filters.html

Last edited by TCmullet; 21st July 2019 at 13:26.
TCmullet is offline   Reply With Quote