View Single Post
Old 29th October 2020, 22:25   #60494  |  Link
Asmodian

I entirely agree with VBB, but adding my own explanations too.

It doesn't necessarily double the rendering time but it can increase the overhead for presenting frames a lot. On my system it outputs five times the number of frames (120 from 23.976). Smooth motion is nearly the last step so it does not increase the number of frames for most of madVR's processing but dithering is after smooth motion. Because of this it is very helpful to switch to ordered dithering when using smooth motion. I like ordered dithering on my OLEDs anyway but I liked ED more on plasma or LCD. Still, ordered dithering is very high quality while being much faster than error diffusion.

I do not have my display set to 23.976 Hz, it is always at 120 Hz. At very low refresh rates smooth motion is bad and when refresh rate matches the frame rate smooth motion should not be used. The refresh rate needs to be above 2x the frame rate for smooth motion to output good quality.

No dreaded soap opera effect.

Have you seen the diagram in the third post of the link in my signature? It is helpful when trying to understand what is going on.