View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:09   #207  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

@gpower2: Why are you invoking mkvinfo in the first place? mkvinfo is NOT designed to be the source of information for other programs. There are several reasons: for example it only reports elements that are actually present (e.g. mkvinfo might not show a "language" element for a track which means that the track's language is actually "eng"), nor does it show elements located after the first cluster by default (e.g. it won't show tags if they're located at the end) – unless you make its output verbose in which case it outputs everything from the file which takes a long time.

mkvmerge's identification output is actually what you should use instead, especially since I've implemented JSON output for it (mkvmerge --identification-format json --identify yourfile.mkv). Its output IS designed to be parsed by other applications, it will handle absent elements with default values properly (e.g. it will show "eng" as a track's language if the track does not actually contain a "language" element), and it will show all elements (tags, chapters, attachments…) no matter where they're located. In less time than mkvinfo's verbose output would.

On top of that I'm very careful not to change mkvmerge's behavior regarding the identification output. Such a change like mkvinfo's regarding the GUI wouldn't have affected gMKVExtractGUI if it had used mkvmerge instead.

So… what are you using mkvinfo for that mkvmerge doesn't give you? I'm really curious if there's something missing in mkvmerge's output that I could add for you.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote