View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:29   #28635  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman0208 View Post
I've never noticed before, and I'm sure, this has nothing to do with the new version, but when I select target output size BD-9 or BD-5, the stream list is a lot longer than when target size BD-25 or custom is selected.
Is that intended?
Yes.

BD-RB sets a minimum size limit video files for reencoding. The reason is that many video files on the disc are so small that reencoding them will have no meaningful impact on the overall video quality of the disc. Reencoding them is, essentially, just a waste of time. So they are kept intact and transferred to the newly encoded disc.

But...

When you decide to output to a DVD disc (BD-5/BD-9), reencoding them is no longer an option -- it is a requirement. Blu-Ray discs have a higher maximum bitrate than DVD, and almost all BD video is encoded at a variable rate that uses that maximum (or somewhere in its neighborhood). That bitrate would exceed the transfer rate of the DVD disc/device and would cause stutter or possibly even failure during playback on a BD-5/9.

So when choosing BD5/9, BD-RB has no choice but to reencode everything in order to ensure it meets the lower maximums required by DVD media.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd August 2019 at 13:37.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote