View Single Post
Old 5th October 2018, 08:26   #1082  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Yikes, no thanks. Looks like the motion interpolation on every TV these days
...what were you expecting? That's simply what motion interpolation is.

If you don't like high framerate video, then no amount of motion interpolation is going to look good - that's the goal of motion interpolation after all.

If you simply don't like interpolation artifacts, then certainly a piece of software designed to run at fullspeed with cranked settings on even a 10-year old quad core CPU isn't going to deliver a cleaner image than dedication interpolation hardware in modern TVs.

It is worth mentioning however that the Linux version, Pro versions, and the old v3.1.7 do have "2m (min artifacts)" and "1.5m (less artifacts)" settings as well as a "32 px. Large 0" setting that are particularly ideal for people that dislike high motion interpolation but still want improved motion resolution.

Additionally, it can make a big difference how your source content was originally recorded - my main use is for motorsports that are actually natively recorded and broadcast at 50fps but are then downsampled to 25fps for internet streaming (I'm looking at you Formula E). These sorts of 50fps --to-> 25fps content retains the faster camera shutter speed of the original 50fps recording which means that applying motion interpolation will make it look much more akin to native HFR content than what you'd get if you interpolated 24fps movie content recorded with a slow camera shutter speed (as is typically used in cinema).

And in my opinion, applying motion interpolation with cranked settings for native 50fps motorsports on a 100Hz CRT is glorious - the sense of speed you get from the cars that way is just unmatched!

________EDIT________

Quote:
I just don't care for motion interpolation at all.
But you didn't say what aspect it is that you don't like, so I felt it necessary to try to answer every angle I knew of.

Now I know a lot of people don't like the artifacts, but that would practically require something like a Threadripper 2990WX + 64GB RAM + a GPU with Nvidia's A.I. Tensor cores in order to have truly artifactless interpolation that looks like real native HFR.

Keep in mind however that the higher the native frame rate of the video, the less artifacts there are: 50fps --to-> 100Hz has quite a bit fewer artifacts than 25fps --to-> 100Hz, and since 50fps is natively HFR anyway the overall "feeling" isn't exactly Earth-shatteringly different either when using interpolation.

Also interpolation in general can be a god-send for low framerate content like 15fps (which is what my father's smartphone camera uses for videos recorded in low-light situations) that can otherwise look really choppy (such as a recently recorded fireworks video he took).

Quote:
Let's get back to AV1
Hey now, you were the one that decided to not ignore the subject and "let my post be". It was even at the end of a page which would have allowed it to have easily been ignored.

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 7th October 2018 at 02:20.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote