View Single Post
Old 11th November 2018, 19:34   #28041  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
You mean below maximum for main tier? Yes, that seems to be the case.

I guess it's not possible without --uhd-bd.

About open-gop: I wouldn't just assume x265's open-gop is allowed on Blu-Ray. There are different styles of doing it and my guess is the x265 devs deactivated it for --uhd-bd because their way is not compatible with the Blu-Ray specs. x264 changes its open-gop style somehow when you activate --bluray-compat IIRC.
(I have never read any actual explanation by the x265 devs so this is simply my guess.)
I've been using HEVCBrowser to look at original HEVC streams and comparing them to those created by X265 to try and put my finger on what is different. TSMUXER can mux the originals with no issues... but those I've created with X265 always have some type of issue. The latest is stuttering when you get later into a film.

Unfortunately setting --uhd-bd isn't an option right now -- because TSMUXER just won't mux it without huge audio desync (it gets way out of sync withing a few minutes of the start of a film) when --no-open-gop is set. I even dumped out all the PTS values for the audio and the video and compared them to the original... all were fine. Color me confused.

Interestingly, I can fix the stutter by encoding the movie in 15 minute segments and using TSMUXER to combine them. But then it seems to have issues at the joins and the audio goes out of sync again. The same happens if I manually join the segments together and run that through TSMUXER. If I join the segments together with MKVMERGE into an MKV -- the sync is fine, so it isn't frame counts or anything like that.

I also found I could make the stutter delay further into the film by setting --slices 4 -- but it still starts well within an hour or so. Again... the original HEVC files have no issues at all -- some of them have up to 8 slices and others only 1 and it seems to mux and play back fine.

It's frustrating as hell. Every time I try to fix something a new issue shows up.

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th November 2018 at 19:47.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote