Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:33   #1787  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I haven't contributed to any open source projects in many years now. In fact I don't even code for a living anymore, I've switched careers. I don't use Avisynth or Vapoursynth myself either since I don't encode any video anymore and haven't done so for at least four or five years. For some reason though I still hang around with people who do work with these things and for some reason I still care. You are of course always free to disregard my opinions on any grounds you prefer.

To be clear, when I'm talking about pinterf's insane things, I'm referring to the recent problems with eval() having to be treated as a MT_NICE_FILTER. This is of course patently insane, eval() isn't a filter and should be seen as a component of the script parser, but nope, this is what you get for trying to tack on multithreading to a hobbyist project from the 90's. The amount of "cleverness" (to put it nicely) required to keep it working in all cases just keeps growing until you have a completely unmaintainable mess.

What the Avisynth community definitely needs the least these days is more fragmentation. It's been pretty bad for many years with all the different MT versions and official versions and Avxsynth and god knows what else, but at least they had compatible plugins and script interpreters. When pinterf showed up I thought it was going to take yet another alarming turn for the worst with another fork and new version but fortunately that didn't happen. Instead, though, we now have, what, five different MVTools versions? Jeez, people, consolidate! I really don't think the plugin interface thing is such a huge deal either, it should be fairly easy to write wrappers to let you load other/older plugin interface versions in Avs+. Just ignore the "official" version IMO - you have the userbase on your side, the people who are still using the official version today are the kind of people who are still using Windows XP and are likely never going to upgrade either Avisynth or their plugins or their computers, even if a new version actually was released. 2.5.0 was released in 2003, 2.5.8 in 2008 and 2.6 last year, so at this rate, if you want a "final" 2.6 in the style of 2.5.8, expect to wait until 2020, and for "2.7" you're going to have to wait at least until 2027 or so. There's no point in trying to have a half-hearted fork that doesn't even attempt to supplant the parent project, either. Aim for the stars.

Last edited by TheFluff; 22nd June 2016 at 16:41.