View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:14   #29017  |  Link
jdobbs

Thought I'd share an interesting point I discovered. I recently got a UHD television and have been experimenting with playback with different 2160p files. Then I decided to disable 4K upscaling on my Sony UBP-X800 so I could make sure I am really getting UHD.

I was a little shocked to find that many of the reencoded UHD MKV/MP4 files weren't actually playing in UHD -- they were playing in 1080p and were being upscaled. Some experimenting showed that only the files I'd reencoded with BD-RB (ALTERNATE mode), or original BD files, were actually playing in true 2160p. My guess is that the player requires the files to be encoded with settings that are uhd-bd compatible (which BD-RB does via X265) and many downloads are not encoded that way.

Just thought I'd pass that on as food for thought. It may be peculiar to my player, I don't know, but I think there are possibly people out there who think they are getting 2160p output when they are actually only getting 1080p upscaled to 2160p on reencoded MKV/MP4 UHD files.

Last edited by jdobbs; 7th December 2019 at 15:25.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote