View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 18:06   #20  |  Link
map1742

Scharfis_brain,

For this example “smart“ deinterlacers are unable to handle the vertical motion between fields without producing artefacts. Mcbob in this case fails spectacularly with patches of double frequency strips appearing. These artefacts are not being filtered with MVtools, either they have a high contrast and thus a high SAD or the block based MVtools is following the artefacts and reinforcing them.

Didee described this beautifully in post #9 above.

Just using a dumb bob and then temporal filtering to reduce the flicker losses the advantages of “smart“ deinterlacers such EDI interpolation and increased vertical resolution on static areas.

Hence this experiment with global motion-compensate before using a smart deinterlacer. The global estimation to follow the content and not the flicker. A dumb bob followed by re-interlacing should be lossless if there is no movement and if there is movement then the vertical low-passed filtered dumb bob output is exactly what we need to avoid aliasing.

A common problem with content from hand held video camera content. I see it with my own footage and it is compounded by sharpening halos on horizontal edges. I now remove these halos on each field before smart deinterlacing and will try adding global motion compensation as well.
map1742 is offline   Reply With Quote