View Single Post
Old 15th January 2020, 03:52   #2028  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
LG announced that their new 8K TVs will support AV1.

As far as I know these are the first TVs with AV1 hardware decoding. I wonder if they will also support Opus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
These TVs will feature quite powerful SoCs and Opus is a very low complexity codec, so I see no reason not to support it.

Besides, YouTube started using it years ago along with VP9 and each device which supports YT must support Opus by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
I think he may have meant ASIC support?

As you say it's low complexity so it wouldn't require an ASIC to run it in a wall powered device like a high end 4K TV, but anything that reduces thermal output is welcome, it's annoying hearing a fan coming from a TV.

I'm a bit late on this, but I was able to confirm from a family friend with an E9 TV that the 2019 LG OLEDs already support VP9+Opus WebM files played from a USB HDD.

And decoding complexity isn't always the reason for lacking format support because I was also able to confirm that, while the 2019 E9 OLED also supports VP8 + vorbis in a WebM as well as VP9 + AAC in an MKV, it does not support VP8 + AAC in an MKV.

Here's the full list of tested formats and combinations that I was able to confirm that worked (all video codecs are 8bit unless otherwise noted):
  • AVI: Xvid + MP3
  • AVI: AVC + MP3
  • MKV: HEVC + AAC
  • MKV: VP9 + AAC
  • MP4: AVC + AAC
  • MP4: Xvid + AAC
  • MP4: Xvid + MP3
  • WebM: VP8 + Vorbis
  • WebM: VP9 + Opus
  • WebM: VP9 + Vorbis

And the things that didn't work (all video codecs are 8bit unless otherwise noted):
  • MKV: VP8 + AAC
  • MKV: AVC 10bit + FLAC
  • MP4: AV1 (video only)
  • WebM: AV1 + Opus

Unfortunately I didn't provide a test file that combined AVC 10bit and FLAC with other known-working codecs, like AVC 8bit + FLAC as well as AVC 10bit + AAC, so it's uncertain whether it's the AVC 10bit or the FLAC that the TV is unable to play back (though this logic doesn't apply to the MKV with VP8 + AAC as it's able to support all 3 things in other combinations, just not together).

EDIT: I've since confirmed that FLAC audio is in fact supported (at least up to 192KHz 24bit, same goes for LPCM as 32float LPCM failed to work) and, as expected, it's the 10bit AVC (not a typo) that is completely unsupported on LG's 2019 OLEDs.

...though more surprising to me was that it not only supported multi-audio MKVs/MP4s with an according GUI-based audio track switcher, but even supported freaking SubStation Alpha subtitles in an MKV also with an according GUI-based toggle.
2x2GB+2x1GB DDR3-1333 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600       

Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64; 23rd February 2020 at 09:52.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote