View Single Post
Old 16th August 2015, 03:48   #25  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
I'm pretty sure it will assume Rec.709 when the colorimetry is not specified in the header. Perhaps that was only the case in older versions, but i'm too lazy to look it put in its documentation.
Latest version definitely assumes 601 for SD, 709 for HD. Not sure about older ones... I'm curious to check, but no idea where to get them.
Edit: found some old ones. dgmpgdec150+ assume rec601.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
Btw, where is the quote "encoded using a different set of coefficients as used by AviSynth's color conversion routines" coming from?
Well I simply re-quoted the post above but I do recall seeing it somewhere.

Edit: By the way, first english-language link in google leads here, where it says something different:
Quote:
ColorMatrix corrects the colors of MPEG-2 streams of dvds. More correctly, many MPEG-2 streams use slightly different coefficients (called Rec.709) for storing the color information than AviSynth's color conversion routines or the XviD/DivX decoders (called Rec.601) do, with the result that DivX/XviD clips or MPEG-2 clips encoded by TMPGEnc/QuEnc are displayed with slighty off colors (which looks like a small difference in brightness). This can be checked by opening the MPEG-2 stream directly in VDubMod.
... but even if we'll ignore Rec.709 and TMPGEnc (no idea how it works) parts, the bold part is still unclear. Why avisynth is mentioned here? I suppose some old avisynth version always assumed Rec601 and documentation was never corrected. But if it was meant as a workaround, it is strange that the plugin itself isn't performing YUV-RGB conversion. Then, there are decoders that always assume Rec.601 if RGB was requested? Even if yes, that's just a broken decoder, not to mention that usually RGB will not be requested (so the conversion will be done by downstream software using it). Adjusting video to match the behavior of some specific playback software is not really a good idea. So this part of the documentation is needlessly confusing (assuming this one is up to date)

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 16th August 2015 at 04:36.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote