View Single Post
Old 9th August 2018, 20:09   #1  |  Link
oldschooltech

help digitizing tv / movie library for HTPC questions

Background:
at a point in life an unfortunate event happened and i lost all my dvds and VHS tapes. I jumped on the streaming bandwagon and only bought a few blurays there after.

Now after getting my HTPC, speakers and stuff setup I see the video difference from streaming "HD" and dvd. sometimes they do a good job but sometimes dvd looks just as good. comparing my blurays to "HD" streaming there is no comparisons bluray wins hands down.

Then there is the sound, dvd have 5.1 when most streaming does not, need i say more. So I have been garbing complete season dvd sets and blurays. and a few wd reds HDD

Questions:
When digitizing my movies and shows what is the best way to go about it? does it matter in the first step? see below

So its get disc to HDD, (makemkv, or copy whole disc to HDD with dvdfab/slysoft/etc)

Run handbrake on uncompressed file if space saving is needed (using selected codecs.

I just wanted to make sure I get step one right as to not compromise quality for handbrake and to make sure what i copy to hdd is the "raw uncompressed dvd/bluray" (i know they are compressed on the disc to a point)

also if I am going about this wrong or could use better software more then willing to buy it, if it will make life more automated and or better quality.

Thanks for your time.
oldschooltech is offline   Reply With Quote