View Single Post
Old 18th March 2018, 14:48   #27156  |  Link
thecrowler

BT.2020 10-bit to BT.709 8-bit

Hi jdobbs, first of all, thanks for BD Rebuilder.
I've read that you're considering a version of BD Rebuilder that can handle 4K UHD Blu-Rays.
Hope not to go OT with the following question.
Since in BD Rebuilder Beta v0.50.25 it's possible to import individual files (for example, ".mkv") and then create a bd-structure (and vice versa), I can imagine that, in the next version, it will also be possible to import mkv files with h265 video stream, and to convert the video stream to x264.
This is already possible usin' other softwares, of course, but I noticed a problem with the color space management (h265 "BT.2020" 10-bit vs x264 "BT.709" 8-bit).
In particular, when encoding to x264 8-bit, colors are completely different from the source colors (h265), they look "washed out".
This happens even if the hardware is natively made to manage h265 BT.2020, 10-bit (Monitor 4k and GPU of recent generation).
Who does not own a 4k hardware/monitor, generally, adopt some kind of software solutions to correct the display color problem.
But, when encoding, those wrong colors become the native colors of the new file, and that's the problem.
Have you found any way to correctly convert the BT.2020 10-bit color spaces (Blu-Ray UHD) into BT.709 8-bit (Blu-Ray video compliant standard)?
Kind regards.
thecrowler is offline   Reply With Quote