View Single Post
Old 19th March 2018, 14:26   #27162  |  Link
thecrowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I haven't given much thought to the conversion to AVC -- as it would be stepping backwards for no apparent reason (unless you wanted to downgrade to 1280p or 480/576 for some reason or are trying to convert for a non-UHD player).
@jdobbs
Thanks for your answer.
If I can afford to give you a suggestion, the reason, not apparent, to "step backwards", is the current situation.
The hardware needed for UHD content playback and/or store is too expensive and so will be for a long time.
The availability of UHD video streams is current, instead.
A software that can only store a Blu-Ray UHD structure, perhaps reducing the size of the video/audio tracks to conform to the standard dimensions of a BD-R(L), will be usefull just for fews.
Even actual solutions like Kodi-based hardware will have no benefit at all: they may use an HEVC/x265 .mkv/mp4 file, not a Blu-ray UHD compliant structure.
Talking about standard AVC Blu-Rays, the actual main goal of a software like BD Rebuilder beta, is to retain a BD structure and shrink it (burn, maybe): it's not just a software for simple conversions, like many others.
But a software solution that allows, in the same way, to manage the UHD Blu-Rays without being able to convert it to AVC standards (actual Blu-Ray structure), this one, seems to me rather useless, at least today.
It will be in the (next?) future, of course.
Kind regards.

Last edited by thecrowler; 19th March 2018 at 15:14.
thecrowler is offline   Reply With Quote