View Single Post
Old 20th December 2010, 17:33   #3  |  Link
Lyris

I've encoded a few DVD titles for the US market (using CCE SP2 and SP3, for what it's worth) and honestly, the Quantization Matrix settings are some of the few that I have never found a use for. In some difficult scenes, in rare cases, I've found that using an alternative matrix or stepping down to 8-bit precision has brought a technically higher SSIM result, but the end result, to my eye, doesn't ever look obviously better - just slightly different.

Quote:
I'm aware there are lots of QMes out there, but the encoding pros providing them often don't write a single line to explain why their QM is good or why it performs better than others.
I would also like to hear explanations like this. Speaking truthfully, I am not mathematically inclined. I'd love to learn more about what goes into designing these matrixes and why people choose the values they do. Unfortunately, I also get the idea that most of these people are re-encoding DVDs, and are just trying to use the same matrix that was used to encode the first time, which isn't terribly useful.
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote