View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 00:21   #221  |  Link
JoelHruska

The whole reason I began using QTGMC in the first place -- the entire one -- is because I could call QTGMC, throw the entire file at it (with zero trimming) and what was output as a result was both substantially denoised and had all of the interlacing / 3:2 pulldown artifacts resolved. (I also got really nice horizontal AA, which is a nice feature).

Now, people here including PDR and H_H have pointed out that there's a substantial negative associated with QTGMC (well, more than one, but one big one in particular): It's destructive, and running a destructive filter over content that doesn't require a destructive filter is less-than-ideal.

The reason I have been attracted to using QTGMC is because, at least with DS9, it has done a remarkable job of fixing what I don't like visually, while introducing relatively few problems that catch my personal eye. Is there a better filter that can reduce AA, reduce noise, and remove the artifacts of interlacing / 3:2 pulldown that are still baked into the DVD when they occur -- if I'm not using Trim to lock on to specific sections for processing?

(I'm going to use trim and H_H's proposed method of treating CGI footage on Sacrifice of Angels, but that's a bigger project and I've got a move coming up, so probably not happening right away. I'm completely new to this kind of video editing, so.. slow going). In the meantime, I'm still exploring global approaches.
JoelHruska is offline   Reply With Quote