View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 01:51   #224  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
And what in heaven's name is an "artifact of 3:2 pulldown".
24fps video or film exhibits "judder" to the human eye when the camera pans horizontally. The artifact is entirely made up in the brain and actually does not exist (it is a failure of our "persistence of vision").

Here is some 12 fps hand-held, hand-cranked silent film from 1929 that I transferred and which I left at the original frame rate. Since it is half the normal sound film rate, the judder is really bad. Watch the vertical edges of the buildings in the background and the pipe on the roof to understand what judder looks like:

1928 Backyard Kids Football in Oak Park, Illinois

Repeating fields (or, less commonly, frames) so the material can be shown on 29.97 television simply makes this judder artifact even more pronounced.

It would actually be interesting to take a 24p scene with a horizontal pan and show it on a display natively, and then show the same thing on the same display with 3:2 pulldown added. I've never done that, but I'm pretty sure it would show the "artifact of 3:2 pulldown" and that artifact would simply look like slightly worse judder.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 17th May 2020 at 01:52. Reason: clarity
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote