View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:07   #23  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Quoting yourself didn't seem to provide an explanation very technical in nature. I've ripped gapless albums as individual flac files which play back gaplessly and I've ripped them as single flac files which play back gaplessly, so when you've decided which won't work, except in particular cases, maybe you could offer the technical explanation as to why?
The quote from wiki is taken out of context, which context refers strictly to playback on computers and/or encapsulation into containers AKA files again on computers.

For one claiming to have read the thread it seems quite a mischance to miss the explanation given therein. Anyway, there are no files on CDs, just structures.

To further quote wiki,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Hardware

Android devices (see Google Play Music in Software)
Apple:
iPhone[8]
iPod classic supports gapless playback of MP3s and AACs from the fifth generation onward[8]
iPod nano second generation and later[8]
iPod Touch[8]
Archos Gmini XS202S
Cowon S9 supports gapless playback without software dependency since 2.31b firmware. Most newer Cowon players support gapless playback right out of the box (J3, X7, iAudio 9)
Linn Products DS network players
All players in the Logitech/Slim Devices Squeezebox range support gapless playback for all gapless formats (lame MP3, FLAC, Vorbis, etc.). Crossfading is also optionally available.
Microsoft Zune supports gapless playback with Zune 2.5 or later firmware, though some bugs remain and occasionally small pops or skips can be heard.[9]
Olive Media Products Opus and Melody players
Raumfeld multi-room audio system supports gapless playback since firmware version 1.2
Rio Karma and TrekStor Vibez gapless hardware players with no software dependency
Rockbox for various digital audio players.
Victor Alneo V Series and C Series[10][11]
I see no CD player there, again a strong hint that gapless playback and its conditions refers strictly to something else than a CD. An eagle eye would immediately notice that all HW solutions above have a common concept the file access.