View Single Post
Old 18th August 2019, 20:46   #91  |  Link
hello_hello

poisondeathray,
Thanks for the info. I also did some more reading and I think I'm now closer to an understanding.

First we have this table showing the difference between NTSC and PAL color primaries (from Wikipedia).

Code:
RGB color space parameters for Rec. 601 Color space 	White point (D65) 	Primary color
xW 	yW 	xR 	yR 	xG 	yG 	xB 	yB
625 line 	0.3127 	0.3290 	0.640 	0.330 	0.290 	0.600 	0.150 	0.060
525 line 	0.3127 	0.3290 	0.630 	0.340 	0.310 	0.595 	0.155 	0.070
Which I compared with the pic below showing how they correspond to RGB. Now I properly understand what those numbers mean.
Red and blue for NTSC and PAL are so close they can probably be considered the same, while green is a little different. For Rec.709 the red and blue primaries are exactly the same as 625 line Rec.601, while green is roughly halfway between the two Rec.601 versions.

https://www.image-engineering.de/con...6/xy-Locus.jpg

Maybe now I understand why I've seen PAL DVDs that appear to have a slight green tinge. I assume they were encoded using NTSC primaries, or something....
I posted an example of that during a discussion quite a while back.

Transfer Characteristics = gamma, which is the same for rec.601 and rec.709.

Color Matrix is the formula for converting YUV back to RGB (or more correctly converting YCbCr to RGB).
From what I understand now, there's only one formula for each, but there's constant(s) in each formula that are different for 525 line, 625 line (and rec.709) to account for the different primaries. If the wrong "constants" are used you don't convert back to exactly the same RGB you started with. Is that a correct assumption?

So the formula for converting between the rec.601 and rec.709 matrices is a standard formula used by most programs, that should take into account the different "constants" for red, blue and green, but doesn't because that makes stuff-all difference compared to using the wrong matrix, and I assume in many cases the original RGB primaries might be unknown anyway. I think I finally understand what "ignoring the primaries" means....

I assume HDRTools does account for those primaries... hence the two flavours of rec.601.... so to be technically accurate, assuming I'm encoding with x264 for example, if I converted HD to SD using the rec.601_625 formula, I should specify bt470bg for the color primaries and for the color matrix (rather than rec.709 for primaries and bt470bg for matrix), and if I'm upscaling from PAL to HD it'd be bt709 for the primaries and matrix (rather than bt470bg and rec.709)? Not that I've bothered setting the color primaries for a long time, just the matrix.

How am I doing?

Thanks again!

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th August 2019 at 21:11.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote