View Single Post
Old 20th January 2019, 18:48   #54345  |  Link
ErMaC
Lurker in Training

Showing proper aspect ratio/zoom on Ultrawide Monitor for content that changes Aspect

Hey all,
So hopefully this is a simple question to answer, but I've been fighting this for some time and I don't seem to be any closer to solving it.
I have a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor. It works great watching films that are shot in CinemaScope.
Some films (mostly Nolan films) will change aspect ratio from 16:9 (for IMAX shots, for example) and then for normal shots will be 21:9. I'm trying to figure out a way to show all content with as few bars as possible. This would mean:

Zooming 21:9 shots to crop the letterboxes
NOT Zooming the 16:9 footage and showing pillarboxes.

I can't seem to get MadVR to do this. I've tried dozens of combinations of settings and the best I can do is have it either zoomed to 21:9 all the time (losing picture during 16:9 shots) or just showing pillarboxes ALL the time and then also showing letterboxes during 21:9 shots.

Here are the settings I have:
*Disable scaling if image size changes... Tried all different settings, currently on 3 lines or less

* Move Subtitles into active area

* Automatically Detect hard coded black bars (yes)

* if black bars change quickly ... don't switch more than every 5 seconds (tried disabling this too).

* Notify ... immediately after every change

* Zoom small black bars away

* crop black bars

With these settings, nothing seems to be happening at all. Dunkirk will just play in 16:9 with pillar boxes and letterboxes in 21:9 scenes.
If I enable:
* If there are big black bars... zoom the bars away completely

Then I get the entire movie at 21:9 with no boxes anywhere, because it's zooming them away... but then I'm losing a chunk of the frame.

Basically - MadVR either lets me have no boxes (pillar or letter) or just leaves it alone. This would work if I had a 16:9 monitor and I was playing 16:9 content that switched to 21:9 because the bigger frame is my native aspect ratio, but when the native ratio is wider than the film ratio, it seems like this causes issues.
For now, I have to flip in and out of zoom levels with keyboard shortcuts, but this sucks. Am I screwed? Is there no way to fix this?
ErMaC is offline   Reply With Quote