View Single Post
Old 15th January 2019, 11:40   #66  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I've got at least a dozen computers. I have no anti-virus software, and I have updates turned off for everything, most especially Windows. When I find I need an update for Windows, I get that specific KB and install it.

The beauty of this system is that if my computer worked yesterday, it will work just the same today, and tomorrow (barring hardware failure).

I have the C: drive partitioned separately, and after eleven years on this XP computer (still my mainstay), with almost 100 programs installed, that partition is only 13.6 GB. I can back that up in under five minutes, so I back up frequently. If I ever were to get a virus or malware (hasn't happened yet), I could restore the partition in under ten minutes. I know this works because while the bad guys have never screwed up my system, and bad updates have never wrecked it, I manage to do this destruction just fine all on my own, and on a regular basis (well, once or twice a year).

So, especially now that all these "mature" programs and O/S are maintained by junior programmers who have no clue about UI, tight code, bugs, etc., I keep on trucking with the stuff that actually works and, by doing this, am actually able to get a lot of work done, instead of spending every waking hour in the care and feeding of the beast.
Agreed with every single word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
For WinXP this case is closed for me, I am not sure how to proceed with Win7. Should I stop updating it even while MS is still providing security updates? The quality of MS updates has certainly deteriorated considerably after the company changed their philosophy and removed a lot of man power and expertise from their OS department. Confused...
Give Win10 LTSB (!) 1607 a chance ...