View Single Post
Old 21st May 2020, 21:54   #766  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Mkvmerge has 2 different --append-mode settings. It's common for the default setting to create audio or video gaps. You can read in the docs about them:
https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html

It says video is 48m39s, audio is 48m38s. If you use the default append mode a 1 second audio gap is expected. (Feature, not bug.)
But how do I tell MKVToolnix to use TRACK mode instead? I am using the GUI. Should I only use command lines for that?

Yeah, this is a case of a DVD (VOB...) splitted into 2 different MKVs by MAKEMKV, so when appending them I need to use TRACK instead of "FILE" (see below), otherwise this problem will happen.

These splitted MKVs are 2 parts of a single content, not two independent recordings from the same DVD that I wanted to put together, yet were always apart from each other.

The only reason MAKEMKV created 2 MAKEMKVs is because the DVD was created with 2 options: WATCH ALL (which in the end just put them together) and watch 1st half of the match and 2nd half (it's a broadcast from a sports event).

--append-mode mode
Determines how timestamps are calculated when appending files. The parameter mode can have two values: 'file' which is also the default and 'track'.

When mkvmerge appends a track (called 'track2_1' from now on) from a second file (called 'file2') to a track (called 'track1_1') from the first file (called 'file1') then it has to offset all timestamps for 'track2_1' by an amount. For 'file' mode this amount is the highest timestamp encountered in 'file1' even if that timestamp was from a different track than 'track1_1'. In track mode the offset is the highest timestamp of 'track1_1'.

Unfortunately mkvmerge cannot detect which mode to use reliably. Therefore it defaults to 'file' mode. 'file' mode usually works better for files that have been created independently of each other; e.g. when appending AVI or MP4 files. 'track' mode may work better for sources that are essentially just parts of one big file, e.g. for VOB and EVO files.

Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote