View Single Post
Old 26th April 2010, 09:33   #1  |  Link
ViciousXUSMC

ATI Video Encoder

Hey guys, came across a new encoder a couple of weeks ago that is included in the ATI 8.74 drivers leak.

I just gave it my first try tonight on a FRAPS file I recorded of a Starcraft II replay. The main reason I wanted to give it a try is to see how good the hardware accelerated feature is.

I must say at first glance it is simply amazing! I took a 4gb FRAPS file and encoded it to a 150MB H264/AAC encoded MP4 in only about 2 1/2 minutes on my Laptop!

This is probably almost 5-10x faster than the time it would have taken me with MeGUI using x264 and NeroAAC and it was easier it just automated the entire process.

My laptop is a Asus G73 it uses a core i7 720QM CPU and has a ATI Mobility 5870 GPU.

Here are the screen shots of the encoder I took.

Driver Information Screen of the ATI CCC

Hardware Information Screen

Video Converter option from the menu drop down

Main Converter Dialog

Step 1 Select File

Step 2 Select Preset

Thats all there is too it, after you pick the preset (no tweaking to the presets) it starts the process.

It was so fast I couldn't believe it, I expected some low quality result but the results are identical or better than what I produce with high quality settings in MeGUI.

These were leaked drivers, no current official release of the ATI drivers includes this encoder but I hope it does soon, alternatively I hope my favorite GUI's like MeGUI find a way to use hardware acceleration like this.

So that concludes the "review" section.

Now I have a question, and thats the reason I visit this forum usually since you guys know more than me.

The primary reason I encode videos is usually FRAPS stuff, and it breaks it down into several files 4GB in size. This one replay was made up of 6 files.

I found the best way to handle this with the MeGUI route is to create my AVISynth script that combines all the files together (avisource="file1") ++ (avisource="file2") and so on.

I tried to use my avisynth script with the ATI converter and sadly it does not recognize it and so it wont work.

So for now I still have to do it the older/slower way. I was hoping you guys maybe have an alternative for me.

Is there a way I can encode all the files individually and then splice them together at the end without having to encode them all again?

Can I just use a Avisynth script and upload it to youtube with the script?

I hope ATI finds a way to let us use AVISynth scrips with their encoder that would just be the best, however for now any work around you can give me I will give it a shot.

I cant wait to see how fast this encodes on my desktop that has an even faster cpu/gpu.
ViciousXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote