View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:08   #380  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
well it sounds dumb but if you don't want the best result this can still be improved by running a hardware frame adaptive deinterlacer over the file instead of TFM. nvidia and intel do field matching when deint is used and you should end up with the far superior 3:2 judder (which i think is bad but what ever).
TFM outputting one duplicate frame in a group of five would look awful, but that's before TDecimate removes it for 23.976fps to give you the same 3:2 judder on a 60Hz display.

The problem is how to handle hybrid sources when re-encoding. Personally I prefer VFR most of the time.

Not a typical example, but I re-encoded some old Doctor Who NTSC DVDs a while back. The video sections had been converted to interlaced NTSC using one method (I can't remember what it's called) and the film sections converted with field blending. I pulled them apart, de-interlaced the video to 59.94fps with QTGMC, and deblended the film sections to 25fps progressive. It was a fair bit of work, and manually creating a timecodes file was a chore, but the end result was quite good.

Each to his own, but I haven't had any problem playing them yet, although I've probably only used my PC and the TVs built in media player.

Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd May 2020 at 21:13.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote