View Single Post
Old 10th February 2020, 02:04   #29262  |  Link
BuddTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
One other point. There's also the option to choose the fastest speed for X265 in BD-RB. My guess would be that it is similar to hardware encoding in quality -- and is a lot faster than, say, the default "High Quality" mode in BD-RB.
Interesting Observation JDobbs! I will take "your guess" any day!

So are you saying that the hardware encoding will not give as good quality as software encoding?

The whole idea of wanting to go to HW encoding is speed, but I also want good quality.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new video card, and find out that the "best" it can do in HW encoding, is similar to the SW encoding "fastest speed for X265".

Even though I have a relatively new, GTX 1050 TI, it sounds like I would need to upgrade again, to take advantage of all the latest HW encoding options.

So am I understanding this correctly, that with HW encoding, there are limited options for video quality?

If that is the case, HW encoding does not interest me as much now. Of course, we all want speed, but quality is very important to me also.

I would not mind a "several hours-half day-similar time" encode, if I could use HW encoding and also use the "ENCODE_QUALITY=4" setting.

Thanks!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote