View Single Post
Old 9th June 2020, 02:26   #29434  |  Link
DoctorM

I've been away from this forum for a while and I'm seeing discussion of BD RB working with 4k discs, but searching the thread back for the past year, the first post and jdobb's website, I can't figure out what BD RB can and can't do.

Are people converting 4k discs to standard BD format? Can Atmos and other higher type audio tracks be passed to a standard BD?
Can BD RB re-encode 4k discs to a smaller size and output a burnable/playable UHD BD structure?
What happens to HDR in either of these cases?

Sorry if this has been answered, but there doesn't seem to be a resource explaining this. I don't see a setting for an x265 encoder, so I have to assume the output isn't UHD.

Edit: OOOooooh. tsMuxer was actually updated to support UHD structure, HDR, etc. I had no idea there was any development going on.
I had to dig back into the end of 2018 to find out that BD RB can actually shrink a UHD disc. Beautiful... but it would be nice if that info were somewhere like the first post.
Can anyone comment on standalone hardware support for UHD BD25 and BD50? I didn't think that was possible. It would be nice to know what brands/models support it.

Last edited by DoctorM; 12th June 2020 at 02:18.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote