View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 18:53   #163  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolamorx View Post
I know it, that's not what I meant.
Let me put it this way: if I set the maximum gain factor to too high value for a certain movie, sounds like breathing could have too high volume and that's a problem.
On the other hand, if I set the maximum gain factor to too low value for a certain movie, the dialogue volume could be too low comparing to the sound effects and music volume and that's a problem too.
Am I right?
Nope, not really.

The DynamicAudioNormalizer will amplify each part of the file, which is quieter than the target volume, so that it is brought up to the target volume. Also it will attenuate each part of the file, which is louder than the target volume (if any such part exists), so that it is brought down to the target volume. In the end, all parts of the file will have "equal" volume. Of course, that all combined with Gaussian smoothing in order to avoid fast fluctuation of the gain factors.

Now, what the "maximum gain factor" option really does: It imposes an additional limit on how much a "quiet" frame may be amplified in order to reach the desired target volume. The default "maximum gain factor" value, which is 10.0×, should be enough for most needs. But it can, of course, be increased, if it should really be needed. Anyhow, probably the vast majority of your frames (if not all of them!) will not need more amplification than what the default "maximum gain factor" value allows. And again: This is only an upper limit, not the actual amount of gain that will be applied! The actual gain factor will be determined dynamically for each frame, and it probably will be way lower than the limit in most cases!

The "maximum gain factor" limit exists primarily in order to avoid humongous amplification factors in extremely quiet (almost silent) sections of the file. If there was no such limit, it could easily result in excessive amplification factors in those extremely quiet sections – which you do not want. If we'd amplify extremely quiet (almost silent) sections by such an excessive amount, the result will sound very "noisy", because the quantization noise becomes audible...

(I suggest you let DynamicAudioNormalizer write a log file and inspect that log file in DynamicAudioNormalizer GUI, which will easily show whether you run into the limit or not)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 8th May 2018 at 19:07.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote