View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:17   #193  |  Link
manolito

This is a follow-up to this post:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...13#post1912913

Quote:
At this point I said: "It must be something forked from Avisynth Neo!"
so I installed Avisynth Neo x86 r2827 and it gave me ACCESS VIOLATION. The very same behavior of Avisynth 3.6.0!
"Aha!"
It seems that they share the same behavior...
and I do agree with FranceBB on his conclusion.

My issues occur under Win7-64 on a Core i5 CPU with 8GB of RAM.

I made some more tests with StaxRip v. 1.1.9.0 (the last stable 32-bit version from 2013). I have no idea how StaxRip interfaces with AviSynth. All I can say is that for all the very long time I am using StaxRip, it never gave me any issues with AVS versions starting from early 2.5x versions through 2.6x up to AVS+ 3.5.1.

The weird behavior with LAV filters was only revealed because I had enabled the tray icons for LAV. So it is very easy to see that multiple instances are still running.

For ffvideosource and LWLibavVideoSource it is hard to tell if they have the same problem. They do not have tray icons, and in Task Manager I did not find a way to tell if there are several processes for the same DLL active.

So all I can be sure of is that LAV filters are not released from memory after the script which invokes them has finished and is terminated by StaxRip. The only way to release these filter instances from memory is to terminate StaxRip.

This behavior has nothing to do with the AVS+ MT feature. It does not matter if the Prefetch call is present or commented out, the behavior is identical.

The next thing I tried was to use DirectShowSource instead of DSS2Mod. Not good at all. The LAV filters behavior was the same, but in addition StaxRip would crash after 30 to 50 seconds after opening the source. This is reproduceable each and every time regardless of the source file format.

Since I almost never use DirectShowSource for video I became curious. I went back to AVS+ 3.5.1 (identical scripts and settings) and loaded a source using DirectShowSource. LAV filters behaved normally, and there were no crashes. But I only got one third of the conversion speed compared to other source filters (including DSS2Mod). Again regardless if Prefetch was used or not. Very weird.

To be absolutely sure I removed AVS+ and went back to classic AVS 2.6.1 Alpha. And here DirectShowSource was only a tad slower than the other source filters (about 0.5 fps).

Does not make any sense to me...

In any case I feel that AVS+ 3.6 is not ready for prime time yet. Please implement a more thorough quality control before publishing "stable" builds which turn out to be not that stable at all.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote