View Single Post
Old 16th July 2019, 22:48   #3  |  Link
Ischemia24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
My advice would be to seriously analyze how much time disk space is really worth to you.

We're at the point where you can buy a 8 TB (~ 7250 GiB in real disk space) for $150 ... that's 0.02$ per GB.

At 3 mbps, you're looking at ~ 22 MB per minute or 1.4 GB per hour ...
I run an ITX media server, and I don't have a lot of room for expandability. But I recently upgraded it to a 3900X, so I am finally in a position to throw a lot of CPU power at H.265 encoding.

Quote:
If you're gonna spend maybe 2-3 hours per one hour of encoding you should at least use a higher bitrate, maybe something like 8-10mbps VBR for 1080p and 4-8 mbps VBR for 720p ... if you end up with around 4-6 GB for a 2h movie, you're still looking at less than 0.1$ in disk space cost.
Most of the time the settings I cited in the original post work pretty well for me. But I've seen examples where I'm clearly beaten in quality to file size. I want to know how to improve. Actually, part of that is how to leverage the 3900X, because I started three instances of Handbrake doing 360p and 480p encodes and the CPU is not fully utilized. Maybe should be its own post.

Quote:
also hmm.. you joined nov 2016 but today's your first post?

ps... also checked the other forum post you mentioned.. hope you realized he used a cartoon for tests... real motion video, bluray with grain etc will behave differently.. make sure you understand why he uses some settings there.
Yes, I was going to ask then what settings I should use for my goals, but I feared I hadn't done enough of my own research and held off, then forgot all about it.

I think the Big Buck Bunny movie sample he used is something that you would tune for Film if using H.264 rather than Animation. But I admit I don't know why he went with the particular settings he chose. It was just presented as "true placebo" mode for H.265 and I seized on it.
Ischemia24 is offline   Reply With Quote