View Single Post
Old 20th January 2011, 00:09   #1  |  Link
eurosong

Looking for a GOOD video capture program

I've been tearing my hair out while trying to find a good piece of software to capture video, and I'm wondering if any of you helpful experts may be able to advise me.

The basics: I have a Super-VHS video recorder, connected to my computer via an S-Video connection which plugs into a USB dongle which I bought on eBay from Hong Kong.

I live in the UK, and the video tapes which I am trying to capture are recorded in PAL.

My original SVHS tapes are excellent quality with crystal clear pictures, so therefore I want to capture in the best possible quality. I understand that I won't get DVD-like resolution, but I want to capture as if I could - just to ensure that the captured video is not in any way worse than the original video tapes.

Preferably, I also want to capture the raw, uncompressed data. Only AFTER I have captured this then I will look at finding a good, lossless codec to compress it. The reason I want to capture uncompressed is because I understand that many of the best codecs require multiple passess for optimal results: therefore if I am capturing from a source, obviously I need the raw data first. I have a 2TB hard drive which is free, so space is not an issue right now.

I have tried many different capture programs - including the one thrown in with the dongle, and none of them are quite adequate for the following reasons:

* VirtualDub - audio/video out of synch, even when trying a ten-second test capture. The program options suggest that they should be synched, but they're not.
* WinAVi Video Capture - cuts off the bottom of screen. Perhaps it's set in NTSC mode? Who knows. I only know that I can find no option to specify the input resolution.
* Honestech VHS to DVD 2.0 - Correct picture resolution, but will not capture uncompressed video. Very few options. Forces split files: no option to capture larger than 3.99GB.. presumably to let people transfer their files to DVD, but without letting people have the option of recoding later.
* Blaze Media Pro - shite. Simply shite.
* Windows Media 9 Capture - Barely any options.
* Cyberlinke PowerDirector's capture facility - again, cuts off the bottom of the screen with no adjustable options to retrieve it.

Ideally VirtualDub looks like the most configurable - but as I said, even a short test capture results in the audio and video being our of synchronisation. I have no idea why.

Can anyone give any suggestions? Even non-free software may be an option: I am willing to pay for something, as long as it does exactly what I need it to do.

Thanks.
eurosong is offline   Reply With Quote