View Single Post
Old 1st July 2022, 16:34   #1  |  Link
bilbo50

Forcing "No-Reencode" of Video in BDR

Greetings, all!

Please, I am wondering if someone could detail a foolproof way to -FORCE- BD Rebuilder to -NOT- re-encode a supposedly Blu-Ray compliant video stream (which is imported as a video file [File-->Import-->Video File])?

My AV video files are compliant enough to create 1.78:1 or 4:3 AR NON-reencoded AVCHDs using multiAVCHD (or 1.85:1, I just accept the 3.8% horizontal "squeeze" of AVCHD to 1.78:1 video). Of course, AVCHD will not help with widescreen or 1.66:1 (or, technically, with 1.85:1) AR videos.

In testing BDR, I've tried:

1) In the BDR install directory, in the file "BDREBUILDER.INI", I've inserted the parm "FORCE_NOENCODE=1" as line 5.

2) At the same time, I've also tried BOTH keeping other video encoding parms below that one, AND deleting them from "BDREBUILDER.INI":
[line 3] ENCODER=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=2
ONEPASS_ENCODING=2
AUTO_QUALITY=0
PRIORITY_CLASS=0

3) I've also tried taking the Input BD size from the log, multiplying it by 1024, and plugging the result into the parm "Custom Target Size" at the bottom of the Setup dialogue panel (before starting up the backup again, from scratch):
"- Input BD size: 4.10 GB"
4.10 x 1024 = 4198.4
"Custom Target Size:" 4198 "Megabytes"

THE BOTTOM LINE:
The parm "FORCE_NOENCODE=1" is accepted by BDR, and it emits the message "- FORCE_NOENCODE: May violate standards". HOWEVER, RBR announces it is "Reencoding video"--and it appears to me that it is really reencoding, since it indicates an ETA of about 89 min. for a 93 min. video (for x264 1-pass VBR encoding, at "Default"["Slow"?] quality).

Help! Am I doing one or more stupid things, or is non-reencoding imported MKVs/MP4s just not possible with current versions of BDR? --Or is this significant processing time normal, and I am I just not waiting long enough through the process?

Many thanks in advance!
bilbo50 is offline   Reply With Quote