Silent Reader

Quotes are necessay to get history of conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbringer View Post
Only a remark how good or bad is --opencl in x264:

I am encoding in DE mode.
Two Ryzen 2700X with RX550 and DDR4-3200

using placebo preset...

With opencl enabled for RX550 I get around 13 fps alltogether, but cpu-utilization is around 45%,
when opencl is disabled cpu-utilization increases to 100%, but encoding fps only increases to 19 fps.
(this means higher wattage for CPU but lower demands for GPU)

With opencl enabled and using two encodingservers per Client cpu-utilization stays at around 45%, no increase of encoding fps.
(so opencl at RX550 seems to be the bottleneck, I am curious that opencl at RX550 seems to be slower than without on Ryzen 2700X)

Is there a possible option to enable x264 opencl for the first encodingserver per client and disable for the second one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Have you checked GPU usage in Task Manager? This would clearly show if GPU is a bottleneck here.

Not yet but I will add this to my short to do list.

UPDATE: Have tried adding incorrect device id to disable opencl acceleration?
/x264-opencl-device-id 9
Quote:
with "/x264-opencl-device-id 9" at second encodingserver now I got 100% CPU usage.
So your suggestion works. That x264 task from 2nd encodingserver has 0% GPU usage.
Thanks!

now the weird ones:
with one encodingserver using opencl and one encodingserver not using opencl I got per client 100% CPU usage an 2% GPU usage (GPU usage is unexpected low!)
with both encodingservers using opencl per client I got again around 45% CPU usage and 40-60% GPU usage (again unexpected low, expected 100%)
But the difference in GPU usage between one and two servers is remarkable, and curious.

HDD usage can't be the reason: using 1TB 970 Evo M.2 NVMe with around 3.5 GB/Sek reading and 2 GB/Sek writing.
RAM is 64GB DDR4-3200-16-16-18-38
Network is 1GBit per client over HPE 1920S-48 switch (at moment only 3 pcs on it)

the only result I got like expected :
Both encodingservers without opencl gave 100% CPU and 0% GPU usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
What happens with CPU and GPU usage if you run single encodingserver with opencl ON and then during conversion activate extra server with Opencl OFF?
Quote:
Not possible at moment, am now at vacation. Around 02.01.19 back.
New test was only with one PC, but with two encodingservers on that client.

Running one encodingserver (with opencl) I got 45% CPU usage, 2% GPU usage and around 5.82 fps average.
Running one encodingserver (without opencl) I got 100% CPU usage, 0% GPU usage and around 8.94 fps average.
Running first opencl EC and then later adding EC without opencl, I got 100% CPU usage, 2% GPU usage and around 7.67 fps average
= less than one EC without opencl, but more than one EC with opencl

In taskmanager x264 task without opencl was allway higher in CPU %, regardless if I changed priority from low to normal of x264-task with opencl enabled.
(so maybe it's a hint that x264 CPU task waiting for opencl GPU part)

Haven't checked powerconsumtion of different usage cases, but it seems, not using opencl is with my config (2700X and RX550) better for performance.

Don't know if other GPUs cause similar results.

Last edited by Wishbringer; 3rd January 2019 at 11:29.
Wishbringer is offline   Reply With Quote