View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:22   #27499  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcanex View Post
...Now, when I'm trying to do MKV under alternate file output. I would try the 1080 with intact audio. Because sound is just as important to me as video. But when it's finished the file size is compressed to much. For example, having a Blu-ray with a original size of 42gb, and when the process is finished in came out under 1gb. Another was under 2gb. Some of them seem to have even lost some black level. Which I can understand to some degree with any compressing. But under the process with the 9gb folder structure was much more than the mkv, as far as black level. How can I get to get it to output between 8gb - 12gb with audio intact as a mkv. Or what settings should I be selecting. Or am I not suppose to be in the Alternate Outputs. Please help. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcanex View Post
Not sure what CRF is. But the TV I'm using is a 80"
I do all my conversions as "alt-Movie Only"... I pick "MKV Container, 1920x1080 Intact Audio" For the check boxes below that I pick Constant Rate Factor Output (CRF) and enter 21 in the box.

That gives me a great balance of video quality, file size and keeps the audio tracks, including any HD audio.

Most of the resulting MKV files are between 7-10gig. Movies with HD audio or multiple audio tracks can result in bigger MKV files. Conversions where the original disc only has DD/DTS non-HD, and only one or two audio tracks, the resulting MKV could be as small as 5-6gig.

Usually I don't notice any difference in video quality between the MKV and the original disc when watching on my on my Sony 55" HX750, 46" XBR6 or 43" XBR 4K. (I use a Fire TV 2nd Gen box, with Kodi and MrMC to play the MKV's off a file share, or the Plex app to play back from a Plex Media Server)

IF/when I watch a converted file and I notice enough black crush or blockiness, or color banding in particular scenes or situations to be annoying (which is rare!!) I might change the CRF value to 20 or 19 and convert again. The resulting file size is bigger, but for the most part video quality isn't "night and day" better, so I rarely change it.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 3rd July 2018 at 15:25.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote