View Single Post
Old 21st January 2019, 01:26   #3  |  Link
Travillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
So I can get this straight, you've got a video made of I-frames and other (dependent) frames:

Code:
I???????I???????I???????I???????I
And you are able to cut out an I-to-I section which plays back fine:

Code:
I???????I
We could say that's 56075-56195 (both I frames, if I read your post correctly).

But if you're cutting, don't you have to be sure that you are only discarding non-I-frames? Your "subtract 2 in order to be safe" doesn't seem consistent with that.

You should - again, if I've got this right, I might be wrong - only try to delete 56076-56194. If you delete any I-frames I think you'll ruin the GOPs either side, won't you?
Yes, we're going for the same thing, but phrasing it a little differently. mkvmerge is supposed to cut on the I-frame at the beginning and right before the I-frame to end. So as you suggested: ...???[I?????]I???.... mkvmerge is supposed to do this intelligently (i.e., find the first I-frame at or after the designated frame) but it isn't always right.

There is something in my mkvmerge directions that is off, such that it will extract them properly but it's not discarding them properly. I can't figure out why. I'm sure my subtract 2 is not helping, but I've tried any number of variations around those cut points and still no success.
Travillion is offline   Reply With Quote