Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th April 2009, 13:45   #221  |  Link
VHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There's a switch somewhere in ffdshow to allow or forbid to connect to "unknown" filters.
Madshi.I did find the switch but didn't solve my problem.Ffdshow connects nicely with MadVR if I use ffdshow to decode my H264 movies but when I try to use CoreAVC for decoding, ffdshow doesn't want to connect anymore...(Ffdshow settings are inputting and outputting YV12, so that shouldn't be the problem).Also my Coreavc settings should be correct.
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 13:57   #222  |  Link
Mike5

@VHT

Have you set ffdshow video / Codecs / Raw video = all supported ?

If the CoreAVC output color space doesn't match ffdshow allowed input color spaces, ffdshow doesn't enter the graph (as post-processor)
Mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 14:01   #223  |  Link
VHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
@VHT

Have you set ffdshow video / Codecs / Raw video = all supported ?

If the CoreAVC output color space doesn't match ffdshow allowed input color spaces, ffdshow doesn't enter the graph (as post-processor)
Yes I have.
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 14:12   #224  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
well..I output PC range off ffdshow and my displays all have PC range(so no levels conversion needed)

so that 16bit LUT is way too dark, and my .ini settings appear to be OK...even yesgrey agrees.

and I'm getting opposite results when I put this LUT in madVR
So is madVR not handling the 3dlut file correctly? yesgrey3, can you confirm that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHT View Post
Madshi.I did find the switch but didn't solve my problem.Ffdshow connects nicely with MadVR if I use ffdshow to decode my H264 movies but when I try to use CoreAVC for decoding, ffdshow doesn't want to connect anymore...
Can't tell you why. Please try with madVR 0.4. If that still fails, I'd need a sample or something, so that I can reproduce the problem on my PC.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 14:20   #225  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR 0.4 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* modified (improved?) initialization order
* fixed: aspect ratio was incorrect with some sources
* added Lanczos8 resampling option (but I don't recommend to use it)
* changed the way the GPU textures are updated
Maybe eventually (but probably not) the multi monitor problem is already improved in this build due to the modified initialization order, but I doubt it.

Unless new show stopper bugs show up, this will probably be the last release for this weekend.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:42   #226  |  Link
buletti

Quote:
These are pretty interesting tests - thanks! Are these test pattern (legally) available somewhere for download?
I'm afraid they are not. The patterns are from the Peter Finzel Test Disc.
There are also similar, commercial calibration test disc from Bürosch, AVIA and Digital Video Essentials. Dunno about free alternatives, tho...
buletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 14:43   #227  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
These are pretty interesting tests - thanks! Are these test pattern (legally) available somewhere for download?
They are from the Peter Finzel Disc, a german test pattern DVD. I find these patterns useful to exermine luma and chroma response and aliasing (beats) in just a few seconds. The raw pictures can be legally downloaded here.

Quote:
Which madVR resampling option do you mean?
I meant the option "don't resample chroma".

Quote:
Please check out the chroma upsampling screenshots in the 2nd post of this thread. Don't you agree that madVR's chroma upsampling looks *a lot* better than ffdshow's HQ chroma upsampling in those screenshots?
It looks better indeed in that example.

Quote:
I guess I could offer "nearest neighbor" chroma upsampling. That would probably produce a perfect frequency response. And it would result in the most ugly chroma upsampling quality possible...
Oh yes! And joe sixpack will be happy about the *sharp* picture!

Quote:
But seriously, I could allow different chroma upsampling algorithms (e.g. Bicubic and Lanczos) to be selected in addition to the currently used very soft resampler (which is SoftCubic100). So you could find your own compromise between jaggies and frequency response. Would you consider that useful?
This is an excellent idea! I hope it is not too much work to implement this option.

Quote:
Can you see the "missing" frequency response in any real life pictures?
Good point.
In terms of chroma upsampling I have no real world example. Maybe some Pixar movies would have sensitive scenes, but I think I would really have problems noticing the differences.

But in terms of luma scaling I have a few movies which show a visible difference between Lanczos3 and Lanczos10. These movies have very high frequency response and suffer from quite a bit aliasing. With more taps there is very slightly more detail and much less aliasing. The german DVD of "My Fair Lady" is a good example. Maybe some Superbits with aliasing on the disc (e.g. "The 5th Element") could also benefit from more taps. And btw., additional ringing by the scaling algorithm is no problem even with such high frequency material.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:13   #228  |  Link
noee

.4 build

* madVR is now pickup up my LG37 (HDTV) refresh of 24Hz properly.
* Reclock tearing test shows *no* tearing now with 23.976@24Hz playback on *secondary* (LG37)

Movie_frame_interval = 41.71
Avg GPU rendering = 19.67

Excellent work!
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:17   #229  |  Link
ice25

Yup at first glance secondary display detection is working nicely. Well done.

Any chance you could add a A/V jitter statistic to the OSD?
ice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:39   #230  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
The raw pictures can be legally downloaded
Very cool! Which license do these pictures come with? Would it be legal to include them in madVR somehow?

Quote:
This is an excellent idea!
Which scaling algorithms would you like to have? The same used for luma scaling? Or a subset?

Quote:
But in terms of luma scaling I have a few movies which show a visible difference between Lanczos3 and Lanczos10. These movies have very high frequency response and suffer from quite a bit aliasing. With more taps there is very slightly more detail and much less aliasing. The german DVD of "My Fair Lady" is a good example. Maybe some Superbits with aliasing on the disc (e.g. "The 5th Element") could also benefit from more taps.
Well, madVR 0.4 now does Lanczos8. Personally, I think the difference between Lanczos3 and Lanczos4 is bigger than the difference between Lanczos8 and Lanczos4. So I think Lanczos8 should be virtually identical to Lanczos10.

Quote:
And btw., additional ringing by the scaling algorithm is no problem even with such high frequency material.
I don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
.4 build

* madVR is now pickup up my LG37 (HDTV) refresh of 24Hz properly.
* Reclock tearing test shows *no* tearing now with 23.976@24Hz playback on *secondary* (LG37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice25 View Post
Yup at first glance secondary display detection is working nicely. Well done.
Great news! I was hoping for that, but didn't really expect it.

So is CPU consumption on secondary display ok now, too? No more 100%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice25 View Post
Any chance you could add a A/V jitter statistic to the OSD?
That would fall under the "smooth playback" category which is not implemented yet. So I can't give you any comment on that...
Old 13th April 2009, 15:53   #231  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Very cool! Which license do these pictures come with? Would it be legal to include them in madVR somehow?
I guess you have to ask Peter Finzel. I don't know under which license the pictures are published.

Quote:
Which scaling algorithms would you like to have? The same used for luma scaling? Or a subset?
For my part Lanczos would be enough as an extra option. But the algorithms are already there so maybe it could be useful to choose between all available.

Quote:
Well, madVR 0.4 now does Lanczos8. Personally, I think the difference between Lanczos3 and Lanczos4 is bigger than the difference between Lanczos8 and Lanczos4. So I think Lanczos8 should be virtually identical to Lanczos10.
I agree. The difference between Lanczos8 and 10 is very little.

Quote:
I don't agree.
I'm really interested, because I never saw it outside of test patterns yet. All I noticed was an amplification of the inherent EE of the disc, because of the algorithm's better frequency response.

Do you have DVD examples on which additional ringing is visible in a movie? I mean scenes inside the movie and not the fonts at the ending? If this discussion is too off topic I would be thankful for a short PM.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:57   #232  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
So is CPU consumption on secondary display ok now, too? No more 100%?
FWIW, I never saw the CPU utilization issues others mentioned re: secondary monitor. My CPU util is around 12% and GPU is around 45% running X2 O/C at 3.0Ghz, this is with SD material upscaled to 1080P, Lanczos 4-tap.

For HD material (1080P-M2TS AVCHD), CPU util is around 55%, using MPC-HC internal decoders.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:59   #233  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
examples on which additional ringing is visible in a movie? I mean scenes inside the movie and not the fonts at the ending?
the start credits of Shoot'em Up on BD are very good to spot dodgy chroma processing(the big SHOOT/EM/UP logos written in blood)...but apart from these extreme examples, any red object should do(there's a woman w/ a strongly saturated red coat in "Night at the Museum")
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:01   #234  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
the start credits of Shoot'em Up on BD are very good to spot dodgy chroma processing(the big SHOOT/EM/UP logos written in blood)...but apart from these extreme examples, any red object should do(one woman in THE NIGHT MUSEUM has a strongly saturated red coat that might help too)
Thanks for the hint. But my quote was in the context of (luma) scaling and not chroma processing.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:02   #235  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Thanks for the hint. But my quote was in the context of (luma) scaling and not chroma processing.
OK, I thought I was missing the point...and I was

I'm very concerned about chroma(being colorblind and all), I let you guys take care of luma then

Last edited by leeperry; 13th April 2009 at 16:27.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:20   #236  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Looks like they're copyright Peter Finzel Productions so you'd have to get his permission to distribute them.
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 16:37   #237  |  Link
midiboy

Hi madshi,

thanks for the new renderer. Just playing around with it. Currently I do get lots of heavy stutter in ZoomPlayer when using the renderer though. (on secondary display with reclock) I am on a ATI radeon 4550 with 512MB of memory. I guess that card is not powerful enough, right ? I also tried disabling all quality settings but that did not change much.

CPU utilisation is below 40% on a DualCore CPU and the Haali renderer works fine so I guess the videocard is the problem, right ? Are there any baselines what GPU is the minimum for stutterfree 1080p playback ?

Bye,
Alex
midiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 17:30   #238  |  Link
mark0077

Hi all,

Just a thought. Would madshi and beliyaal consider teaming up to integrate beliyaal's work on reducing judder, syncing frames etc, with the excellent levels conversion and more, work by madshi.

I am torn between which renderer I want to use but would love to see madVR with the frame sync stuff from beliyaal if possible to combine both.

It would be a terrible waste of time for madshi to spend lots of time on audio / video sync if its possible to use the existing work by beliyaal.

Cheers,
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 17:38   #239  |  Link
flanger216

As of 0.4, everything works great on my end. No CPU usage penalty, and I get smooth playback with Bicubuic -0.75 (anything higher introduces stutter in 1080p material). And all of this on a lowly Radeon HD3650. Great job.
flanger216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 18:20   #240  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

madshi
Can you add support for loading subtitles anytime soon or this is too much of work for now? I really want watch some movies with MPC-HC/madVR but i prefer to watch with subtitles coz English is not my native language. "Use VobSub" is not the solution.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling