Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th July 2011, 19:16   #8981  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

More bug reports:
1. If I blank secondary monitors by creating a black window with no border on monitors where the video isn't shown, MadVR will exit exclusive mode for a split section and then return with MadVR's 'exclusive mode' OSD appearing.
The weird thing is, I don't even have to show or position the blanking window for this to happen.
All I need to do is create a form with the player window as the owner (not parent).
Code:
procedure BlankSecondaryMonitors;
var
  I       : Integer;
  tmpForm : TForm;
begin
  If Screen.MonitorCount > 1 then
  Begin
    If Assigned(MonitorBlankList) then MonitorBlankList.Free;
    MonitorBlankList := TList.Create;
    For I := 0 to Screen.MonitorCount-1 do If Screen.Monitors[I].Handle <> MainForm.Monitor.Handle then
    Begin
      tmpForm                := TForm.Create(MainForm);
      {tmpForm.OnKeyDown      := MainForm.OnKeyDown;
      tmpForm.Color          := OPBGColor;
      tmpForm.BorderStyle    := bsNone;
      tmpForm.DefaultMonitor := dmDeskTop;
      tmpForm.Cursor         := crNone;
      tmpForm.SetBounds(Screen.Monitors[I].Left,Screen.Monitors[I].Top,Screen.Monitors[I].Width,Screen.Monitors[I].Height);
      tmpForm.Show;}
      MonitorBlankList.Add(tmpForm);
    End;
    //ForceForeground(MainForm.Handle);
  End;
end;
As you can see from the code, even when I commented out almost everything, it still causes the glitch.

2. I still get freezes/crashes when switching between 'windowed on monitor 1' to 'fullscreen on monitor 2' if 'auto exclusive mode' and 'use dx11 path' are enabled.

3. If 'auto exclusive mode' is enabled, switching between 'windowed on monitor 1' to 'fullscreen on monitor 2' causes the exclusive mode image to take longer and longer to reappear (the screen stays black for up to 13 seconds after 10-15 switches).

4. My 'stop function causes the OSD to remain on-screen until a play command is issued.
My stop function works like this:
1. Call graph stop.
2. Seek to position '0'.
3. Call graph pause (to show the first video frame).

Last edited by Blight; 26th July 2011 at 19:19. Reason: Fixed item #3
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 19:40   #8982  |  Link
Hypernova

madshi, 0.70special (1) does not crash. I didn't tried 2.
Old 26th July 2011, 21:57   #8983  |  Link
nuhi

madshi, [issue resolved] don't know if it is intentional or even known about but some 16:9 videos with black bar are zoomed in on madvr. One can see the difference by using Ffdshow's resize to 1080p and enabling it back and forth. Only some videos, let me know if you would like a sample, maybe you already know about this, but then it would be nice if it is optional.

Second just a suggestion; to have a volume bar in exclusive mode. I keep on scrolling up blindly to be sure the volume is to the max, can't see it.

Thanks!

Last edited by nuhi; 26th July 2011 at 22:54.
nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 22:25   #8984  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhi View Post
Second just a suggestion; to have a volume bar in exclusive mode. I keep on scrolling up blindly to be sure the volume is to the max, can't see it.
The volume level is shown at the OSD, that way you can tell if it's maxed or not.
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 22:52   #8985  |  Link
nuhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by agustin9 View Post
The volume level is shown at the OSD, that way you can tell if it's maxed or not.
agustin9, thanks but I must be blind, can't see any OSD and I enabled it in the MPC options, can you maybe recall what I could be missing?

madshi, excuse me, I found the cause of my zoom issue while playing with OSD settings; it is MPC feature (Zoom 2 was selected), obviously Ffdshow pre-resized output does not fall under that processing as the picture is already max size.
So all good, thanks once again.
nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 23:00   #8986  |  Link
dansrfe

My main issue is still with the smoothness of switching monitors and going back into FSE mode. The delay and laggy-ness of the transition is not completely flawless.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 00:00   #8987  |  Link
agustin9

Quote:
agustin9, thanks but I must be blind, can't see any OSD and I enabled it in the MPC options, can you maybe recall what I could be missing?
Try installing the latest directx version from here:
http://filehippo.com/download_directx/
agustin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 01:47   #8988  |  Link
Plutotype

testing

testing 0.70 ( original, not special ones ) and have couple of questions:

Is it possible that using ffdshow video as external filter for VC-1/H.264/MPEG-2 could produce some audio video sync issues with versions since 0.67 ( madVR internal video decoders implemented )?

Why 0.70 has the VC-1 decoder disabled by default? Why H.264/MPEG2 are turned ON by default? Does turning on the decoders and using external one ( ffdshow video ) has any sense in terms of A/V sync issues?

Thanks for the "pause playback until render queue is full" - working nice here.

Thanks

all filters latest + LAVfilters 0.30
Old 27th July 2011, 02:06   #8989  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Why H.264/MPEG2 are turned ON by default?
None of the internal decoders are turned on by default. you may be using your old settings.bin configuration from the previous madVR versions where you might have turned them on.
Old 27th July 2011, 03:21   #8990  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Make sure you reactivate the "delay playback" option because it's disabled by default in v0.70.

Ah, unfortunately that doesn't help. Whether the "delay playback" option is on or off I still get the slight jugger at video playback start. I see no noticeable difference at all when ticking this option or not when using Zoom Player or PotPlayer in Windows 7. Ah well, just something to live with I guess...
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 04:13   #8991  |  Link
fairchild

@dansrfe if you look at the notes for 0.70, there actually are decoders enabled by default now. I just disabled them though since I like running yadif deinterlacer for interlaced vids.
Old 27th July 2011, 07:40   #8992  |  Link
VFR maniac
Spinner of yarns

v0.70 breaks playback of fullrange source, it plays greenly.
v0.69 works fine.
Old 27th July 2011, 08:30   #8993  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
@dansrfe if you look at the notes for 0.70, there actually are decoders enabled by default now. I just disabled them though since I like running yadif deinterlacer for interlaced vids.
You may be correct actually. I just replace all the files in my madVR folder and the settings.bin file remains. That may the reason why the internal decoder options are still deselected for me.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:53   #8994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
I think so, but I'm not 100% certain, it's hard to tell.
You can see the update frequency is much slower than it should be (even when paused).

Holding the left mouse button over the timeline and dragging it left/right (which updates the timeline graphics very quickly).
What happens is that the player based UI updates multiple times per second and the MadVR OSD updates much slower.
The next build will cut down the render queue to 3/8 whenever you ask for an OSD change. This should cut down response times by more than half. Hopefully that will help, let me know.

Quote:
I created two log files.
What I've done is very simple:
1. I disabled ZP's keyboard handling entirely.
2. I opened a simple AVI+XVID+MP3 video file and paused it after 1-2 seconds.
3. With "madVR - log_alt-enter.txt", I pressed Alt-Enter and then Alt+F4.
With "madVR - log.txt", I simply closed the player through the GUI.

Since I disabled keyboard handling in ZP, the log files should be pretty much identical, but I suspect they're not.
See if you can possibly find the cause.
That's weird. In your alt-enter log madVR doesn't ever go to fullscreen exclusive mode. Shouldn't it? Anyway, these madVR logs are so big and there's so much information in there, I simply don't know where to look for whatever problem you're experiencing.

From what I can see in the alt-enter log this is what happens:

(1) playback is started and works fine
(2) after 2.5 seconds playback is paused
(3) after 12.5 seconds the connection to madVR is broken and recreated, don't ask me why, this was not initiated by madVR
(4) after 13.0 seconds the rendering queues are filled again
(5) after 24.5 seconds playback is stopped and madVR destroyed

I can't see anything wrong in the OSD, although I don't know why the connection to madVR was broken and recreated.

Quote:
Is the OSD interface locked-down?, is something using it other than ZP at the moment?
Yes, J.River MediaCenter v16 uses the same API you're using, just with alpha channel images instead of color keyed images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
With 0.70 crashes on Zoom are back.
I can't reproduce the crash here, however I can see that ZP's zoom feature doesn't work the way I would expect. I'll talk to Blight about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Yep it still crashes. As I mentioned previously, it only crashes with encrypted DVDs from the DVD drive. Unencrypted DVDs work fine from both the DVD drive and ripped to ISO.
Missed the encrypted bit. Can reproduce the crash now. Very weird crash, though. Will have to deactivate some of the auto detection code (primaries, decoding matrix etc) for external decoders, when DVD playback is running.

Quote:
1. If I blank secondary monitors by creating a black window with no border on monitors where the video isn't shown, MadVR will exit exclusive mode for a split section and then return with MadVR's 'exclusive mode' OSD appearing.
The weird thing is, I don't even have to show or position the blanking window for this to happen.
All I need to do is create a form with the player window as the owner (not parent).

As you can see from the code, even when I commented out almost everything, it still causes the glitch.
Can I have a madVR log from this situation, please? Thanks.

Quote:
2. I still get freezes/crashes when switching between 'windowed on monitor 1' to 'fullscreen on monitor 2' if 'auto exclusive mode' and 'use dx11 path' are enabled.
Oh, I didn't check this with "use dx11 path", cause my development PC is XP. Does this also occur with the dx9 path?

Quote:
3. If 'auto exclusive mode' is enabled, switching between 'windowed on monitor 1' to 'fullscreen on monitor 2' causes the exclusive mode image to take longer and longer to reappear (the screen stays black for up to 13 seconds after 10-15 switches).
I can't reproduce that here. Is that with the dx11 path again? Does the same thing happen with the dx9 path?

Quote:
4. My 'stop function causes the OSD to remain on-screen until a play command is issued.
My stop function works like this:
1. Call graph stop.
2. Seek to position '0'.
3. Call graph pause (to show the first video frame).
What OSD remains on-screen? Yours or mine? If yours: Did you draw is with a timeout value? Or did you (try to) clear it with a separate API call?

BTW, you can also email me at madshi (at) gmail (dot) com, if you prefer. Might be quicker and less painful communication? I'll leave that for you to decide, though. Doom9 is fine with me, too.

Quote:
MPC-HC shows the volume in an OSD, if you change it. Other players might not. Anyway, madVR doesn't even know that volume changes, so there's not much I can do about it. It's the media player's job to help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
My main issue is still with the smoothness of switching monitors and going back into FSE mode. The delay and laggy-ness of the transition is not completely flawless.
This might be improved in some far away version, but not anytime soon.

Quote:
testing 0.70 ( original, not special ones ) and have couple of questions:

Is it possible that using ffdshow video as external filter for VC-1/H.264/MPEG-2 could produce some audio video sync issues with versions since 0.67 ( madVR internal video decoders implemented )?
I don't really think so.

Quote:
Why 0.70 has the VC-1 decoder disabled by default? Why H.264/MPEG2 are turned ON by default?
I've disabled the VC-1 decoder because I consider the Microsoft VC-1 decoder superior to libav/ffmpeg and Intel at the moment. If (and when) that changes, I will modify the default settings accordingly. My h264/MPEG2 decoder implementations should compare well to any other (free) h264/MPEG2 decoders out there, and they seem to be stable now, too, so that's why I enabled them by default. madVR has a rather low merit, though, so madVR's internal decoders shouldn't force themselves upon you. You can still easily prefer external decoders over madVR's internal ones, even if they are enabled.

Quote:
Does turning on the decoders and using external one ( ffdshow video ) has any sense in terms of A/V sync issues?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Ah, unfortunately that doesn't help. Whether the "delay playback" option is on or off I still get the slight jugger at video playback start. I see no noticeable difference at all when ticking this option or not when using Zoom Player or PotPlayer in Windows 7. Ah well, just something to live with I guess...
It seems to work pretty well here. Can I have a log from when you get frame drops right after playback start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR maniac View Post
v0.70 breaks playback of fullrange source, it plays greenly.
v0.69 works fine.
Confirmed. Will be fixed in the next build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 11:22   #8995  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.71 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* for DVD playback start, "delay playback start..." option is now auto disabled
* when OSD changes, render queue is cut down to 3/8 to make OSD more responsive
* when madVR pauses/starts/stops graph, notification message 0xFA17 is sent now
* fixed: crash with NVidia PureVideo MPEG2 Decoder
* fixed: crash with h264 AVI content
* fixed: unpause delay with internal decoders in exclusive mode
* fixed: subtitles disappeared when pausing playback
* fixed: madVR caused "File Source Async" to never be destroyed
* fixed: full range YCbCr input showed a green tint (introduced with v0.70)
Old 27th July 2011, 11:31   #8996  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've disabled the VC-1 decoder because I consider the Microsoft VC-1 decoder superior to libav/ffmpeg and Intel at the moment.
can the microsoft decoder do multithreading as well?
Old 27th July 2011, 11:34   #8997  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I'm telling the libav/ffmpeg VC-1 decoder to do multithreading, but I don't know if it actually is capable of doing that. In any case, the Microsoft VC-1 decoder is clearly faster on my dual core CPU.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:38   #8998  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

same here, but still dont know about the multithreading thing. have requested multithreading for libav VC-1 playback twice or three times during the past years at the ffmpeg forum, but from what I can see at least nothing changed over that time. so last thing I know still is that it only looks like multithreading, because task manager seems to do cpu swapping and this then only looks like as if doing multithreading or something like that.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:56   #8999  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Sorry for the late report (I originally thought it was a fluke), but madVR 0.70 Special2 introduced a bug with "delay playback start".

Only madVR 0.70 Special2 & 0.71 have the bug. madVR 0.70 & 0.70 Special1 are fine.

When using the refresh rate changer and "delay playback start" is enabled, videos opened paused (after refresh rate change). It happens with any decoder, internal or external, so it's not the same as that other frozen screen bug which you fixed. The good news is if you unpause the video, it appears to play normally. The bad news is occasionally when you close MPC-HC in this inital paused state, madVR will hang (I've been unable to get a log of this so far).

Paused State after Refresh Rate Change - Log: http://www.mediafire.com/?3flc92or4oy54o8

Last edited by cyberbeing; 27th July 2011 at 12:04.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 12:02   #9000  |  Link
chogster

Still no joy for me using HAM with any madVR version newer than 0.57! CPU and GPU loads are average, but I'm experiencing a high rate of dropped frames running 1080p/bluray! Everything seems smooth switching over to the Cyberlink software filter, but CPU usage is obviously much higher.

Was there a significant change within madVR from version 0.58 onwards that could cause conflict with HAM?
chogster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling