Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd February 2012, 09:25   #11961  |  Link
phoenixxl

From what I read it was created to get rid of jerky playback due to mismatched sync (read on video help)Whatever the case may be what the original purpouse was , it was only a mention . What I am saying is , don't use it if you don't have to .

Playing movie rate media that's been sped up to 25 fps is of course a good reason to use it.

Don't go slowing down your torchwood , sherlock and dr who episodes guys... :3
phoenixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:32   #11962  |  Link
Andy o

There's little reason to not use it if you're not bitstreaming and are using an HDMI connection or analog like many (most?) of us here. Even if you're using SPDIF, you can decode the lossless track and reencode to DD on the fly with ReClock with virtually no loss of quality compared to what you'd be getting by bitstreaming the SPDIF-compatible original stream to begin with.

Custom resolutions are not ideal if ReClock can fix the problem easily. For example, you have to create one for 23.976 and one for 24 and switch between them. I'm not sure if that's possible with NV anyway. Intel has famously not been able to do 23.976 for years, at least not with some workarounds that people shouldn't require to do, and still it's not guaranteed to be exact.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:34   #11963  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its still a driver issue, nothing else.
CUVID decoding has been rock stable for quite a while and alot of different drivers.

I'll stick with the 290 beta drivers, those have worked quite well for me.
Right, sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it's a problem with LAV Filters, just an incompatibility/issue with the new drivers. It's a real nuisance that what primarily seem to be game related updates manage to screw up video playback all the time.

I still haven't been able to get presentation glitch-free playback since the last WHQL drivers, but they're over three months old at this point, and missing performance improvements/fixes for games that I own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I could not use the new nvidia beta drivers. They decided that my HDMI connected display used a DVI lead and thus I lost sound over HDMI.
Weird. I lost my display's 50Hz mode in this update, which I need for some 50Hz BBC documentaries. (but I'm sure I can just add it as a custom mode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxl View Post
I prefer to manually add a good 23.9760 mode instead of speeding up video 1 per mil , it's the more elegant solution imo, it's the most "compatible" solution taking all media into account. Speeding up video means speeding up audio and speeding up subtitles. Speeding up audio means in my case it needs to be decoded then encoded again since I use optical output ie it prevents me from using passthrough.
I cannot create a custom mode for my display, it doesn't like anything other than the official timings. (which is a real pain as it won't sync to 48Hz despite supporting 50, when all my previous displays would)

Perhaps you are able to achieve perfect playback over the course of a 140+ minute film, but I find ReClock to be necessary for that, and would be using it regardless, as I have a number of 50Hz DVDs which have no Blu-ray release yet. As previously mentioned, I also have a number of films which are 24Hz on the disc.

If you are using optical, surely you would be decoding the HD audio track, reclocking it and then encoding it for output? I can't imagine this being any more lossy than bitstreaming the DD5.1/DTS track off the disc. (it seems like this could potentially improve quality?)

Last edited by 6233638; 2nd February 2012 at 11:28.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:25   #11964  |  Link
phoenixxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I'm not sure if that's possible with NV anyway.
590:
http://i.imgur.com/7crRa.png
http://i.imgur.com/MIdSS.png

I have the same setup with an old 8800 ultra.

In most cases precise custom frequencies are only problematic for the displays , all nvidia cards I've had have been able to handle them quite well.

Last edited by phoenixxl; 2nd February 2012 at 12:44.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:56   #11965  |  Link
phoenixxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Perhaps you are able to achieve perfect playback over the course of a 200 minute film, but I find ReClock to be necessary for that, and would be using it regardless, as I have a number of 50Hz DVDs which have no Blu-ray release yet. As previously mentioned, I also have a number of films which are 24Hz on the disc.
My display is able to handle 24.000 25.000 23.976 . Depending on what is being played , the correct screen is opened at the needed frequency. Yes , slowing down sped up Pal is a reason to actually use it. ReClock doesn't provide "perfect playback" if you have a display locked at 59 or 60 hz , you will get the usual 3 frame 2 frame cycle , with a 3 frame 3 frame every so often. Speeding up your video 1 pro mil will not make it any more "perfect" . The issue is mainly with people relying on a 1 to 1 match between video speed and monitor frequency and don't have 5 frames to stick 2 frames in , if in that case you have a frame drop or god forbid a duplicate every few seconds , you notice it quite clearly. In that case , as I said before , I would recommend , ->if your hardware supports it<- , making a 23.976 freq custom mode instead of adding extra filters that can mess things up and do extra things to your audio and subtitle timings.(can not will)

Quote:
If you are using optical, surely you would be decoding the HD audio track, reclocking it and then encoding it for output? I can't imagine this being any more lossy than bitstreaming the DD5.1/DTS track off the disc. (it seems like this could potentially improve quality?)
Most media I play aren't bluray discs. TV series and anime make up the bulk of what I watch.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:19   #11966  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Nope. DTS core is 1536 and AC3 embedded is 640. You can't "improve" over it.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:36   #11967  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Nope. DTS core is 1536 and AC3 embedded is 640. You can't "improve" over it.
Quality isn't only defined by the bitrate used, but also by how good the encoder is you use. If ReClocks AC3 encoder is any good is another question entirely, however.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:37   #11968  |  Link
phoenixxl

Audio would be worse in most cases . Enabling the ReClock filter prevents you from using passthrough on your spdif output , and forces you to re-encode audio.

Ac3 640 is what's supported for on the fly output from ffdshow or ac3 filter. Ignoring master audio or true hd , and seeing ac3 640 as acceptable , I just don't like the fact , even from an ac3 source , my audio gets re-encoded. The hq audio modes will always be better unmodified though, converting them to ac3 640 will cripple them.

If I would have had a decoder that only supported ac3 and dts , and a disc had LPCM 27 mbit audio and a DTS track (probably rare) , modifying and encoding the LPCM track could give a better result than plainly playing the DTS track* (if you are one of those people that believes Dolby Digital is better than DTS). All of which is somewhat far fetched.

*In which case one could disable passthrough and play the LPCM track with AC3 output at whatever freq my monitor is at -> "ReClock will never make your audio better."

Last edited by phoenixxl; 2nd February 2012 at 14:54.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:12   #11969  |  Link
jaagil

Is there any reason I should use Fullscreen Exclusive mode with my Desktop?
And is there "best" settings to MPC-HC?
I've been using the libavs that come with madvr to decode 10bit files, no problems whatsoever, and haven't had any problems with the windowed mode either, I guess it is normal to get few dropped frames when you go from window -> fullscreen (in windowed mode) and when you Jump Forward / Backward ? Thanks.
jaagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:59   #11970  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
In which case one could disable passthrough and play the LPCM track
In the case of not discussing terribly OT audio matters in the mVR thread I would guess.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:43   #11971  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Quality isn't only defined by the bitrate used, but also by how good the encoder is you use. If ReClocks AC3 encoder is any good is another question entirely, however.
Resampled sound encoded by Valex Audio Library (VALib) by Alexander Vigovsky VS original sound encoded by Dolby Media Producer Suite by Dolby Laboratories, Inc? I don't think so. But only leeperry knows for sure.
(sorry for OT madshi, I can't just ignore nev's posts).
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:34   #11972  |  Link
phoenixxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
In the case of not discussing terribly OT audio matters in the mVR thread I would guess.
It's all related to media files in general . There happens to be audio , video and subtitles in most. And it all influences each other. But if you insist on using the fact I discuss audio as an opportunity to start trolling it's your decision.Your reply being on toppic pertinent constructive and informative.

Kind Regards
Old 2nd February 2012, 19:19   #11973  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
It's all related to media files in general
You're wasting everyone's time not discussing about mVR here...madshi has better things to do. Proper audio playback is just as complicated as video, this is not a "free for all A/V discussion thread", it's the mVR thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Resampled sound encoded by Valex Audio Library (VALib) by Alexander Vigovsky VS original sound encoded by Dolby Media Producer Suite by Dolby Laboratories, Inc?
double lossy encoding is a big no-no technically speaking, only you can tell if you would hear a difference though.

some ppl cannot tell the diff between Overlay and mVR, some between a realtek onboard and a $3K external DAC...why worry? you're very lucky, more than anything else.

The most OCD'ed amongst us cannot bear watching a movie w/o perfect gamut mapping, their standards are just higher than yours...it doesn't make them any more happy than you to watch a movie, their OCD can actually be utterly frustrating when they don't get what they want ^^
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:11   #11974  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

I've recently switched to madVR+LAV CUVID from EVR CP+Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder.

What I've noticed is deinterlacing is no longer working with madVR+LAV CUVID. But I've checked to make sure the deinterlacing checkbox is ticked in the madVR config (which is already on by default). Use ITVC in nVidia control panel's deinterlacing box has also been checked. With LAV CUVID, I've tried setting all the deinterlace settings as well from weave to bob to adaptive. Nothing worked.

Switching between deinterlacing modes video/film (CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+T) didn't change anything for me.

The video stream has its interlaced flag set, so it's not the media's fault:

Code:
General
ID                                       : 1283 (0x503)
Complete name                            : test.ts
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 3.47 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 31mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 5 447 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 769 (0x301)
Menu ID                                  : 1328 (0x530)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=18
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 1h 31mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 920 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 15.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Standard                                 : PAL
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.474
Stream size                              : 3.13 GiB (90%)
Any idea what could be wrong? Anything else I need to check to make sure the video gets deinterlaced?
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:21   #11975  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Anyone else tried using the new Nvidia 295.51 drivers with madVR?

Playback seems fine initially (no worse than other recent drivers) but after 15–20 minutes, it's started dropping frames like crazy. Is this happening with anyone else?
I've got the same problem here. Had to restart the system to get it working properly again.

Back to v258.96 for me.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:38   #11976  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
590:
http://i.imgur.com/7crRa.png
http://i.imgur.com/MIdSS.png

I have the same setup with an old 8800 ultra.

In most cases precise custom frequencies are only problematic for the displays , all nvidia cards I've had have been able to handle them quite well.
That's not what I meant. I meant that I don't know that you can run custom versions of both 23.976 and 24.000 on NV. Can you? I seem to remember someone mentioning a workaround though.

In any case, custom resolutions can cause more trouble than ReClock, and ReClock is easier to do.

Reencoding a lossless source into AC3 is not the same as reencoding a lossy "core" stream. Lossless->lossy reencode is more equivalent as playing the original lossy core.
Old 3rd February 2012, 01:57   #11977  |  Link
shimaflarex

I believe I have found a bug.
Switching to the "old path" exclusive mode(as in, not only disabling present several frames in advance, but actually setting the media player to full screen mode) limits the number of backbuffers to 3, in both windowed and exclusive mode.
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:40   #11978  |  Link
toniash

@shimaflarex I think it's a XP limitation
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:20   #11979  |  Link
fairchild

I noticed this also on Win7 when I recently switched to FSE old path by just disabling present several frames in advance with MPC-HC. The backbuffer queue always stays at 3 in fullscreen or exclusive modes even though I have both backbuffers set to 6. (maybe it's a limitation of FSE old path)
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:12   #11980  |  Link
shimaflarex

@toniash: I'm using W7.

If it is a limitation with the "old path", I don't think it should also apply to windowed mode
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling