Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd January 2014, 21:18   #21641  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrn View Post
Unticking use random dithering instead of OpenCL error diffusion causes a black screen. (Jinc 3tap)

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB Corsar Vengance DDR3
EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 4GB 332.21WHQL
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
ASUS Xonar D2X
Has been reported about a hundred times in the last 2 pages. Known problem with NVidia GPUs at the moment. To be fixed later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
A problem I have is the profiles get marked as loaded (bold name in preferences), but their respective settings don't get applied, instead first profile in the group gets used. Easiest to check with Nearest Neighbour as image upscaling. Happens even after restoring default settings.
Please try with the test build I just posted. I think it's probably already fixed in that build.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:19   #21642  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Here's a new test build, should (hopefully) fix video mode deinterlacing:

http://madshi.net/madVR87b.rar
Confirmed the video mode deinterlacing fix on my GTX 770.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:19   #21643  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
I hope that it will fix all crashes.
Nope.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:25   #21644  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Here's a new test build, should (hopefully) fix video mode deinterlacing:

http://madshi.net/madVR87b.rar
Hmm nope. The videos now play but nowhere near correctly. Again, this is with the HD4000 and no OpenCL stuff enabled. With a 1080i/25 video in fullscreen (not exclusive), it's mostly fine but has the occasional hiccup (looks like a dropped frame but doesn't register as one). In a <1080p window the frame order is all over the place, the queues are very jumpy (often dropping to 0 or 1) and the number of dropped frames increases every now and then.

Using software decoding.

EDIT: Using DXVA downscaling fixes the jumpiness. Was using Catmull-Rom before, and the problem appears with any of the custom pixel shader scalers. Possibly a separate problem to the deinterlacing thing?

Last edited by DragonQ; 23rd January 2014 at 21:43.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:39   #21645  |  Link
noee

@madshi,

FWIW, I can no longer scale my SD videos to 1080 with Jinc3 with .87 as I have been with .86. I have all of the explicit OpenCL stuff turned off so it appears the .87 render path has slowed even without the explicit OpenCL options enabled.

I'm not sure whether this is expected, it is definitely happening at the render queue.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:45   #21646  |  Link
michkrol

I'm on Intel HD4000 and I get horrible performance with any DXVA scaling and progressive content in madVR87b build. Worked correctly in "normal" v0.87 build.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:46   #21647  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
Should be fixed in the next test build (see below).
Thanks, it's working and thanks for the new version.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:51   #21648  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Nope.
Too bad. Still same amount of crashing?

Anybody else still having crash problems with the updated test build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Hmm nope. The videos now play but nowhere near correctly. Again, this is with the HD4000 and no OpenCL stuff enabled. With a 1080i/25 video in fullscreen (not exclusive), it's mostly fine but has the occasional hiccup (looks like a dropped frame but doesn't register as one). In a <1080p window the frame order is all over the place, the queues are very jumpy (often dropping to 0 or 1) and the number of dropped frames increases every now and then.

Using software decoding.

EDIT: Using DXVA downscaling fixes the jumpiness. Was using Catmull-Rom before, and the problem appears with any of the custom pixel shader scalers.
Hmmmm... Ok. This will be the NV12 OpenCL splitting which is always enabled on Intel and AMD GPUs now. Not sure why this is happening, though. Will play a bit more tomorrow with my HD4000 and see if I can reproduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
FWIW, I can no longer scale my SD videos to 1080 with Jinc3 with .87 as I have been with .86. I have all of the explicit OpenCL stuff turned off so it appears the .87 render path has slowed even without the explicit OpenCL options enabled.

I'm not sure whether this is expected, it is definitely happening at the render queue.
Which was your GPU again? Can't remember the GPU of all users. How much do the rendering times differ between v0.86 and v0.87? And do you have debanding on or off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
I'm on Intel HD4000 and I get horrible performance with any DXVA scaling and progressive content in madVR87b build. Worked correctly in "normal" v0.87 build.
What? The v.087b test build is worse than the official v0.87 build? That confuses me. Are you sure you're testing with the same settings?

-------

Here's a new test build. It *might* make OpenCL work with NVidia GPUs, or maybe not. If it still doesn't work, I'd like to get a debug log with this new test build with error diffusion activated. Thanks.

http://madshi.net/madVR87c.rar

Going to bed now, see you tomorrow...
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:56   #21649  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
Actually I didn't know there was an option for DxVA2 Scaler and failed to explain the purpose of the option. Why did you add it?
although this question was already answered, I'd like to add that since madvr supports xysubfilter and mpc hc's subtitle filter, it is still more practical to use than evr imo, which is the only other renderer that offers dxva scaling afaik.

Plus, now with profiling, it is another tool available to fine tune performance.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:01   #21650  |  Link
mark0077

OpenCL not working here with 87c. Error diffusion activated so seeing black screen and can hear audio in the background. Uploaded log running for maybe 3 seconds here. Havn't uploaded in a while so not sure wheres best.

Debug Logs

This is GTX 295 in Windows 8.1
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:06   #21651  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Which was your GPU again? Can't remember the GPU of all users. How much do the rendering times differ between v0.86 and v0.87? And do you have debanding on or off?
sorry, HD6570, latest Catalyst

Jinc3 w/AR, SD film, 10bit, all explicit OpenCL stuff off (including error diffusion), debanding off.

Avg render FSE mode:
.86: ~23ms (0 dropped frames)
.87: ~25.5ms (constant frame drops)

Not that different. But the render queue is full on .86 and on .87, it hovers at "0-3".

Last edited by noee; 23rd January 2014 at 22:14.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:06   #21652  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
I'd like to get a debug log with this new test build with error diffusion activated. Thanks.
There is a slight problem, since you haven't provided a debug version of the new test builds.
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:09   #21653  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Too bad. Still same amount of crashing?
I left a note on the bug tracker.

For others:
If you experience crashes after updating from 0.86.11 to 0.87 and are using EMET, try turning it off. Worked for me. (Yet again time wasted because of this that could've gone into other things, sorry...)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:15   #21654  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

Jinc3 w/AR, SD film, 10bit, all explicit OpenCL stuff off (including error diffusion)

Avg render FSE mode:

Not that different. But the render queue is full on .86 and on .87, it hovers at "0-3".
Hmmmmm... Forced film mode? I did a small change to the dithering algorithm. That might explain the difference, unfortunately. Not much I can do about it, unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
There is a slight problem, since you haven't provided a debug version of the new test builds.
Stupid me. Here it is:

http://madshi.net/madVR87d.rar
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:26   #21655  |  Link
fagoatse

Out of curiosity, does OpenCL support mean that we can use madvr on lower-end AMD GPU/APUs that would otherwise be too slow to run it? I'm mostly referring to kaveri APUs equipped with really fast ram.
fagoatse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:35   #21656  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:

Jinc3 w/AR, SD film, 10bit, all explicit OpenCL stuff off (including error diffusion), debanding off.

Avg render FSE mode:

Having performance issues as well, can barely playback interlaced DVDs without frame drops anymore, even with low resizing settings, no NNEDI, not anti-banding, dropped resizing to Lanczos3 and it still has heavy fluctuations in the render queue. In the previous version I could play the same DVD with Jinc resizing for both luma & chroma, turn smooth motion ON and still have full queues. Now I don't know what causes such huge perfomance hit but if it's OpenCL, I suggest some switch to completely disable it.
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:36   #21657  |  Link
detmek

Is OpenCL supported on Nvidia 9500GT?
Everything works just fine with official 0.87 build and 0.87b but I get dropped frames and empty render queue and backbuffer queue with 0.87d. Just tested for fun and reverted back to official 0.87.
edit:
I tested NNEDI for Chroma and increases rendering times. Is that mean that OpenCL works? Back to Bicubic.

Last edited by detmek; 23rd January 2014 at 22:39.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:46   #21658  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
What? The v.087b test build is worse than the official v0.87 build? That confuses me. Are you sure you're testing with the same settings?
Sorry, you're right (again). Seems like it's not a good idea to use "(renderQueue<30)" or similar for some settings, since the profiles get switched almost constantly once even one change is triggered.
Probably because changing them clears the render queue? I'm talking about switching between dxva and normal scaling or turning debanding on/off. Might be worth investigating and perhaps adding some delay to fix this behavior, once you get some free time.

For now, thanks for this release and I'm back to testing

EDIT: I can easily trigger this behavior with 1080p content, dxva2 downscaling, windowed mode and (renderQueue<30) as a condition to switch debanding off/on. Any other combination of settings works correctly. I'm on Intel HD4000, if that's important.

Last edited by michkrol; 24th January 2014 at 10:36.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:49   #21659  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Here are the new test build logs for the OCL dither issue on my GTX 770:

madVR 0.87d OCL Dither debug logs
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:05   #21660  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagoatse View Post
Out of curiosity, does OpenCL support mean that we can use madvr on lower-end AMD GPU/APUs that would otherwise be too slow to run it? I'm mostly referring to kaveri APUs equipped with really fast ram.
No, the OpenCL options will need even more performance than before, if anything it'll need a faster system.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling