Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th January 2014, 17:15   #21721  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmm... Your log reports that everything's working. Can you try NNEDI3 instead of Error Diffusion? Still black image?
It freezes with Chroma upscaler or NNEDI3 Doubling.
I have revert to Lanczos (or any other) and restart MPC-HC because the image freezes completely (audio still working though).
Moreover, I have to manually close the mpc-hc.exe process because it stays open after I close MPC itself with the (X) button.

Last edited by James Freeman; 24th January 2014 at 17:18.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:24   #21722  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Still a black screen when enabling OpenCL stuff with 0.87f.

madVR 0.87f debug log
That link doesn't seem to work for me. Have you tested NNEDI3, too? Or just error diffusion? Please try both. Thx.

Quote:
And yes, the CPU load regression began in the very first deband test build. CPU load in 0.87.0 is slightly higher (+0.3%), but the significant doubling in madVR CPU usage started with this first deband test build.
Ok, thanks, will look into this later. I'm not good at looking into 10 different issues at the same time.

Quote:
The NVIDIA test program for D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop runs successfully on my GTX 770. Link

It also seems to be very fast, at least in these simple test programs. While the D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop program seems to have fps limited to VSync (max I could test on my CRT was 170fps @ 170Hz with 5% GPU load), their D3D10 version utilizing swap chain isn't, and runs runs at 1550 fps on my GTX 770 at only 50% GPU load.

Maybe worth looking at? At least it confirms this OpenCL feature isn't bugged with the 332.21 driver.
It doesn't confirm anything. There are a million different ways to use D3D9 and OpenCL. All this demo proves is that one out of those million ways works ok. Which is not surprising because this demo is probably what NVidia tests with. I'm using different flags for creating the textures, different flags for mapping the texture to OpenCL (the NVidia demo actually uses clearly incorrect flags, according to NVidia's own OpenCL documentation). Also my code has a very different handling of OpenCL input/output. What I found out is that my NVidia 9400 has no problem with shared textures, but your GPU does. So I've dropped the use of shared textures when using OpenCL with NVidia. However, AMD and Intel actually *require* the use of shared textures, otherwise OpenCL will run a hundred times slower. Programming can be funny sometimes. Now it seems that according to NVidias OpenCL APIs everything seems to run through fine with the latest test build, but the video image is black. Why? I've no idea...

I guess the only way to get this fixed might be to install a newer NVidia GPU into one of my PCs, so I can try all this myself. But all of this is probably a bug in NVidia's OpenCL code and not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessCow View Post
Maybe a "maxRenderingTime" value instead of "renderingTime", that way once you hit a frame that has a rendering time that is too high it will switch to the lower profile and stay there.
Once in a while (e.g. after changing settings) the maxRenderingTime might have a big spike. That would screw everything up. This really isn't easy. Maybe I'll find a solution for this idea of using profiles. But not right now. I'm busy fixing bugs for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Talking about NNEDI pixel shifts: You added a chroma upscaling option for NNEDI, how do you handle the shifts there?
Chroma actually has to be shifted in one direction, so there the NNEDI3 shift is exactly what I need. However, in the other direction it should not be shifted, so I run another interpolation pass over the NNEDI3 chroma upscaling output to correct the chroma position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Screenshots for the same clip (1080i/25) with the same settings (no new OpenCL stuff) for 0.86.11 and 0.87f are below using an HD4000. My settings are:

Luma: Lanczos3AR (shouldn't be used in this case)
Chroma: Bicubic75
Downscaling: Catmull-Rom
General: Using separate device for presentation & DXVA processing
Smooth Motion: On
Deinterlacing: On

I only get a few dropped frames when first opening the video with 0.86.11, I get loads and very dodgy playback with 0.87f. In terms of average stats, all of them are worse with the latter.

Screenshot 0.86.11
Screenshot 0.87f
This looks like a rather big difference. Are you sure you haven't accidently left debanding on, or something like that? I know, stupid question. But I can't explain such a big difference with anything else...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:30   #21723  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
This looks like a rather big difference. Are you sure you haven't accidently left debanding on, or something like that? I know, stupid question. But I can't explain such a big difference with anything else...
Nope, all the new features, including debanding, are definitely off.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:32   #21724  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
That link doesn't seem to work for me. Have you tested NNEDI3, too? Or just error diffusion? Please try both. Thx.
Fixed the link, it was missing a "z" at the end. http://www.mediafire.com/?un3mceavrtvssgz

That log is just with error diffusion though. Here is another with NNEDI:
https://www.mediafire.com/?e9dy437h3x2eh2s

Quote:
I guess the only way to get this fixed might be to install a newer NVidia GPU into one of my PCs, so I can try all this myself.
Or try porting the code OpenCL to CUDA directly and see if that works... NVIDIA's drivers run OCL via CUDA anyway, but the translation is probably less than optimal.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 24th January 2014 at 17:45.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:33   #21725  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug work fine but the debug don't have the enable/disable OpenCL processing of DXVA NV12 option. The deinterlacing have framedrop but it's better than the other 0.87 version of MadVR. The deinterlacing worked fine (no framedrops) with the latest deband test and stable version. Thanks anyway for the latest version.

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.1
Still the same but debug don't work either with the latest version

log
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:33   #21726  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Your CPU does support SSE2, I hope? In v0.86.x I uploaded P010 content simply by using the MSVC++ "memcpy" function. Now in v0.87.x I'm using custom SSE2 code which while copying also does some rudimentary analyzation of the pixel data (for fade in/out detection and for potential future features). On my CPU/GPU the SSE2 code performs just as fast as the old "memcpy" code. But it seems to be very different on your PC. I'm wondering why...
Yes, it does, but it's an old Athlon II 620. I'll try some overclocking (this chip will hit 3.7 on air, especially the cold air we have this week!) and see if that makes any difference.

FWIW, I have a Kaveri coming next week for a client build.....
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:41   #21727  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Fixed the link, it was missing a "z" at the end. http://www.mediafire.com/?un3mceavrtvssgz

That log is just with error diffusion though. Here is another with NNEDI:
https://www.mediafire.com/?e9dy437h3x2eh2s
Hmmmm... According to the log NVidia OpenCL claims that error diffusion succeeds. However, NNEDI3 fails. Hmmmm... Will have to check if I can make sense of the NNEDI3 failure.

Quote:
Still the same but debug don't work either with the latest version

log
Which driver version are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Yes, it does, but it's an old Athlon II 620. I'll try some overclocking (this chip will hit 3.7 on air, especially the cold air we have this week!) and see if that makes any difference.
Ah, ok. How high is CPU consumption when the upload queue is empty? How high is CPU consumption with v0.86.11 in the same situation?

I'll probably release a few test builds tomorrow aimed at different problems. I'm probably done for today...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:49   #21728  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Chroma actually has to be shifted in one direction, so there the NNEDI3 shift is exactly what I need. However, in the other direction it should not be shifted, so I run another interpolation pass over the NNEDI3 chroma upscaling output to correct the chroma position.
Thanks for the explanation. The unwanted shift is exactly why I was asking... I'm curious: What kind of interpolation pass are you running?
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:51   #21729  |  Link
noee

Quote:
Ah, ok. How high is CPU consumption when the upload queue is empty? How high is CPU consumption with v0.86.11 in the same situation?
Clocked the chip to 3.5Ghz (NB @ 2.4Ghz) and everything works great, no drops, full queues. Back to bone stock BIOS (2.6Ghz), no joy.

At stock, when upload queue goes empty, CPU is at ~55-60% per ProcessExplorer. On .86, it hovers ~34%, same video, same settings.

I'm going to see if I can find the "sweet spot" where it goes good.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:53   #21730  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
which driver version are you using?
ccc 13.12
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 17:55   #21731  |  Link
livache

.87 with smooth motion turned on returns black image when playing videos with mod2 height in normal window (100% - unresized). After resizing the window or turning to full screen, the image appears. > mod2 seem to play fine with smooth motion on.
GPU: GTX560Ti.

Last edited by livache; 24th January 2014 at 18:00.
livache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 18:10   #21732  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Got a NVIDIA GTX 560M
I have upgraded to the current version, these are my issues:

trade quality for performance the new openCL option, if I uncheck it, I get a black screen.
same for NNEDI3 options, so it seems to be the same issue others describe...

I have not changed any settings, except i deactivated all quality for performance settings (except the opencl one)

there is a issue with deinterlacing... when I play 1080i MBAFF interlaced content or telecined NTSC DVDs (basically content that has some kind of interlacing), I get a black screen when having deinterlacing enabled (if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing)... works fine when I disable deinterlacing in madVR...

also, some files give a black screen, until i resize them (doesn't matter if up or down)... what these files have in common is that they are 1280x718 with DAR set to 16:9 according to mediainfo...
so it's black until i resize the window, but when I resize the window back to the original size, the frame is black again...
1280x720 content is working fine, so there might to be an issue with DAR... but 960x720 content with DAR set to 16:9 is also working fine, so it's not a universal problem with DAR...

9MB sample file

//just disabled smooth motion and there is no more black frame with the 1280x718 file.... it might have nothing to do with DAR... might be the mod2 problem livache is talking about...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 24th January 2014 at 18:25.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 18:13   #21733  |  Link
noee

madshi, to follow up on your question regarding the impact of "use OpenCL to process DXVA NV12 surfaces...", yes, this has quite an impact here on my setup (HD6570). With that option enabled, I get dropped and repeated frames, video is not quite a slideshow, but close. All is well with that option disabled (default).
Old 24th January 2014, 18:23   #21734  |  Link
Deim0s

Except OpenCL, stopped working algorithms "image downscaling" (...or something else).
While playing content UHD (4k):
in windowed mode slideshow (madVR output),
when switching to full screen - black screen

In version 0.86.11 worked perfectly.

latest nightly MPC-HC, latest LAV Filters
Win7 32bit, i7-2600K, ASUS GTX770 2GB, ASUS VG278 27" 120Hz
Deim0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 19:38   #21735  |  Link
Farfie

Probably redundant, but I'm throwing up another log just in case you find yourself needing more clues.

madvr log .87f
Farfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 19:56   #21736  |  Link
kazuya2k8

Tested with 0.87f still blank w/ error diffusion, nnedi3 upscaling and needi3 doubling. Hope this logs help.

madVRlog errdiff.7z

madVRlog nnedi3chromup.7z

madVRlog nnedi3double.7z

GTX 660 w/ 332.21 Driver
kazuya2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 21:03   #21737  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

I have a problem with DXVA deinterlacing. "DXVA processing fail" when I open interlaced content. Log from latest test build https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16282309/madVR/madVR_deint.7z

I can manually enable deinterlacing later, but initially it fails.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 21:27   #21738  |  Link
truexfan81

madshi running the f build the cpu load is back down, all is good until i try using profiles, even a simple rule such as:
if (srcFps == 60) "Profile 2" else "Profile 1" fails to use the correct profile, i know this because my gpu cannot handle my Profile 1 settings with 60fps content so it results in all queues empty and massive frame drops.

edit: if i assign kb shortcuts i can can toggle between them, however it would be nice if the auto selection worked.

Last edited by truexfan81; 24th January 2014 at 22:49.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 23:11   #21739  |  Link
yok833

Hello I have no possibilty to try the new version of Madvr right now but I was wondering is the new <error diffusion >algorithm improves the picture quality in your opinion? What is the difference with the option that you can select in lav filters with ordered/random dithering??? Which one should we use for the best quality?
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 23:37   #21740  |  Link
Nachbar

Quote:
MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window.

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.1
Same here. All i did was copy the new madvr over the previous version. I tried the uninstall and install.bat after mpc-hc crashed and that did not fix it. Weird thing is even though it will display a window that mpc-hc crashed unexpectedly the video still plays in the background fine.

My system: Intel Core i5 3570k, Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti, Windows 7, MPC-HC 1.7.1, madvr 1.8.8.1 (also tried 1.8.8.0 since it recently updated but the problem still occurs), LAV 60.1, xy-vsfilter 3.0.0.211

Last edited by Nachbar; 24th January 2014 at 23:39.
Nachbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling