Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th February 2014, 22:10   #19221  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I fixed it. Actually it was caused by BD-RB and was an indicator of an actual bug that had been reported a while back... so I'm glad you asked me to address it. Two bugs killed with one stone.
Well that was fast!
And a bonus swat can always bring on a smile.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 22:15   #19222  |  Link
Rodger

Quote:
Definitely use DGDecNV. It is faster and reduces the processing necessary for several functions.

It's up to you with AVISYNTH, but you'll find I'm very hesitant to respond to bug reports when alpha software is in use that might be the cause, and may require a switch to v2.58 before accepting it as a bug.
THANKS for your heads up.

100% understand your thinking about unverified software.
But Iīd say itīs beyond alpha state....even beyond beta state thanks to SEt. More like a RC. SEt fixed a lot of glitches and errors. But I canīt speak for the whole community of video encoders since I donīt use many filters.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 00:08   #19223  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
That's really weird.

The truncated strings will have no effect -- they're just shortened because of the maximum width of the menu text at the given font size.
I am also surprised to find sometimes the generated menu background clip -- the default stars picture -- included as an "Extra" in the Quick-Menu list (titles.inf), although the thresholds are set to 10 or higher. I have to deselect it and save again to remove it from the Quick Menu. It does not happen every time though.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 00:11   #19224  |  Link
Rodger

I have never seen BDRB as a tool backup BDs to BD5/9 as a AVCHD.
Most probably because I was using "BDtoAVCHD" befor knowing of BDRB.

So I like a lot about BDRB which makes me think of BDRB replacing the other tool for BD5/9 Discs.

But BD-RB seems to be very wasterful with the possible disc space.
BDtoAVCHD makes a special run though the bitrates to be able to make a better encode-bitrate prediction.
So it is able to ALWAYS stay over 7,9GB in size making the best of the space available on BD9.

My first attempt with BDRB is 6,86GB. Over 1GB wasted.
So Iīd like to know/find out is it my fault...do I need to learn how to tweak BDRB to use the space available better.
Old 16th February 2014, 00:34   #19225  |  Link
Patrick

BD Rebuilder 0.46.11 ignores blanking in batch mode

An easy to reproduce bug: select some streams to be blanked and add the project to the batch queue. There is an entry about blanking attached to each queue entry (a bit vector I suppose), but the batch processor ignores all blanking requests...
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 03:58   #19226  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post

So I like a lot about BDRB which makes me think of BDRB replacing the other tool for BD5/9 Discs.

BDtoAVCHD makes a special run though the bitrates to be able to make a better encode-bitrate prediction.
So it is able to ALWAYS stay over 7,9GB in size making the best of the space available on BD9.

So Iīd like to know/find out is it my fault...do I need to learn how to tweak BDRB to use the space available better.
I am assuming you are using default setting in BD-RB. If so you need to enable 2-pass encoding which will encoder meet target size and provide better quality.

Also Jdobbs has reserved some space, however not as much you are seeing.
Old 16th February 2014, 07:03   #19227  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

All DVD+-Rs I have used/tested (even the very high grade ones) are susceptible to problems on the outer tracks. So I've reduced the output size to avoid that area. But yours is undersized by quite a bit more than that. You can adjust target sizes as you see fit with undocumented settings. Here they are with their defaults:

BD5_SIZE=4469
BD9_SIZE=8032
BD25_SIZE=23500
BD50_SIZE=47366

(Actual output target size in bytes would be this number * 1024 * 1024 using true binary numbers). So a perfectly sized BD-9 output would be 8,422,162,432 bytes in size. A DVD+R DL will hold 8,547,991,552 bytes. So in true GB size, a BD-9 will only hold 7.96GB. When getting sizes as small as you are reporting there is usually one of two things happening. 1. The original was small enough to fit without reencoding so it is keeping it's original size (you can never reencode to a better picture than the original). 2. The bitrate required to hit the target size (when adding in the audio/subtitle requirements) would be higher than the maximum transfer rate allowable under the BD-5/9 standard.

There's really no 100% accurate way to predict output size, because the muxing in BD format is fairly unpredictable. Each audio type, for example has different percentages of muxing overhead. Also, there is no perfect encoder that will always hit exactly.

You can also set a custom size.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th February 2014 at 07:32.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 07:26   #19228  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Yeah. All DVD+-Rs I have used/tested (even the very high grade ones) are susceptible to problems on the outer tracks.
What do you think of M-Disc?
Old 16th February 2014, 07:34   #19229  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
What do you think of M-Disc?
Don't know much about it -- and I think it requires a special burner. So obviously I haven't tested it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th February 2014 at 07:37.
Old 16th February 2014, 07:47   #19230  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Don't know much about it -- and I think it requires a special burner. So obviously I haven't tested it.
I will tell you, indeed it does require a special burner, which I have it. Since they have no dye layer on disc, a high power laser is used to engrave data on disc surface.

Just for info this is how disc looks, notice how transparent are they.

Last edited by HWK; 16th February 2014 at 08:13.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 08:14   #19231  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
There's really no 100% accurate way to predict output size, because the muxing in BD format is fairly unpredictable. Each audio type, for example has different percentages of muxing overhead. Also, there is no perfect encoder that will always hit exactly.

You can also set a custom size.
Very true. For video + 2 x audio 2.0 192kbps ac3 (my old SVCD) I have to set the custom size to 4400 for BD5 which fills the disc 98%.
Old 16th February 2014, 09:42   #19232  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
....just have sent 100 bucks for this fantastic program and for further improvements on the 3D feature. Keep it up!
I couldn't have said any better myself. So for me donation payment is by 2x.

Last edited by HWK; 16th February 2014 at 09:48.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 09:54   #19233  |  Link
inge70

Quote:
I fixed it. Actually it was caused by BD-RB and was an indicator of an actual bug that had been reported a while back... so I'm glad you asked me to address it. Two bugs killed with one stone.
you're the best .. thank you
inge70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 14:47   #19234  |  Link
Rodger

Thanks for the info.

So I changed "hiddenopts.txt" as following:

BD5_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-5 writes -- default = 4480
BD9_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-9 writes -- default = 8125
BD25_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-25 writes -- default = 24500

ALWAYS use Verbatim is what I only can say. I copy the experience of jdobbs and admire him for thinking of what many users donīt know or think.
The only brand to expect stable results is verbatim. Tried so many others and always got disappointed.
TDK has/had decent ones too...but too expensive not to directly use the reference from verbatim.
And STAY AWAY from LTH types!!! Some burnerse donīt like them at all, others burn them with degraded write speeds. I donīt even fully trust the ones from verbatim.
I have burned and played them all without a single loss but time will tell if they can live up the the expectations I have with verbatim medias.
MY burners are PIONEER BDR-206 and PIONEER BDR-S08

Watch out for the media codes:
BD9 = MCC03RG20 DVD-R DL / MKM-003-00 DVD+R DL
BD25 = VERBAT-IMu-000 = LTY Type / CMCMAG-BA5-000 = Normal Type

Last edited by Rodger; 16th February 2014 at 15:15.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:26   #19235  |  Link
Sharc

See also:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Old 16th February 2014, 15:33   #19236  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
I couldn't have said any better myself. So for me donation payment is by 2x.
Wow. What can I say? It is appreciated very much.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:34   #19237  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

So I changed "hiddenopts.txt" as following:

BD5_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-5 writes -- default = 4480
BD9_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-9 writes -- default = 8125
BD25_SIZE=n n = Change the output size (in one megabyte units) for BD-25 writes -- default = 24500

ALWAYS use Verbatim is what I only can say. I copy the experience of jdobbs and admire him for thinking of what many users donīt know or think.
The only brand to expect stable results is verbatim. Tried so many others and always got disappointed.
TDK has/had decent ones too...but too expensive not to directly use the reference from verbatim.
And STAY AWAY from LTH types!!! Some burnerse donīt like them at all, others burn them with degraded write speeds. I donīt even fully trust the ones from verbatim.
I have burned and played them all without a single loss but time will tell if they can live up the the expectations I have with verbatim medias.
MY burners are PIONEER BDR-206 and PIONEER BDR-S08

Watch out for the media codes:
BD9 = MCC03RG20 DVD-R DL / MKM-003-00 DVD+R DL
BD25 = VERBAT-IMu-000 = LTY Type / CMCMAG-BA5-000 = Normal Type
I'm sure you already know this, but for others who may be reading -- HIDDENOPTS.TXT is just documentation. The actual changes are added to BDREBUILDER.INI.

By the way, Verbatims are very good discs and I have a stack of them in front of me -- but they (the DVD+-R discs) are prone to errors on the outside tracks as well. It's probably less-likely than cheap discs, but it's still there. The same is true for BD-R, errors are more likely in the outer tracks -- but the issue seems much less pronounced than on DVD (I really don't know why).

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th February 2014 at 15:41.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:42   #19238  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
An easy to reproduce bug: select some streams to be blanked and add the project to the batch queue. There is an entry about blanking attached to each queue entry (a bit vector I suppose), but the batch processor ignores all blanking requests...
I'll look at it.
Old 16th February 2014, 16:42   #19239  |  Link
gonca

In view of the Toronto connection, HWK, $100 on the way. Jdobbs, buy the spouse some flowers amd relax for a day.

Last edited by gonca; 16th February 2014 at 16:44.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 17:05   #19240  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
In view of the Toronto connection, HWK, $100 on the way. Jdobbs, buy the spouse some flowers amd relax for a day.
I will do just that. Thanks for the support (again).