Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th May 2015, 21:59   #30601  |  Link
aufkrawall

I think there's still an issue with NNEDI3 image quadrupling on Nvidia, occasionally driver still gets stuck in slow P2 state (but without any visible corruption).
Question is if it is caused by madVR or by the 352.xx driver series (Windows 8.1 x64), which seems a bit unstable.
I'd need to find a completely reproducible scenario to provoke the unwanted bahvior, I guess...
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:08   #30602  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I think there's still an issue with NNEDI3 image quadrupling on Nvidia, occasionally driver still gets stuck in slow P2 state (but without any visible corruption).
Question is if it is caused by madVR or by the 352.xx driver series (Windows 8.1 x64), which seems a bit unstable.
I'd need to find a completely reproducible scenario to provoke the unwanted bahvior, I guess...
I don't know that it's an issue with NNEDI3 specifically.
When doing some 4K testing, I was also running into an issue where my video card would stay in the medium power state (P8) rather than using the full power state (P0).

I think it managed to hit a certain GPU load which was not enough to trigger the higher performance state, but also too low to actually play videos without dropping frames.
Prior to 4K decoding you could use CUVID decoding to force the GPU into a full power state, but my GTX570 is too old to decode 4K so decoding is handled by the CPU instead.

I don't know what specifically fixed it, but changing the scaling settings to something a little more demanding was enough to push it into using the full power state all the time.
Presenting a frame every V-Sync may also have been a contributing factor. (but I can't get smooth playback with that option disabled no matter what format the video is)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:13   #30603  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does this (32bit only) test build change anything?

http://madshi.net/madVR8810test.rar
I used MPC-HC 32 bit. No change. Here is the log from the test build.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...08012845964113
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:14   #30604  |  Link
aufkrawall

I meant P8 state, sorry.
madshi did something to fix NNEDI3 quadrupling in the past with image enhancement because there was a similar issue.
I suppose it's still related to NNEDI3 quadrupling + image enhancement.
Driver gets totally stuck in P8 state, thus it drops lots of frames if it's too slow. It's not able anymore to enter a higher P-state unless the driver is restarted.
Old 30th May 2015, 22:30   #30605  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
I used MPC-HC 32 bit. No change. Here is the log from the test build.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...08012845964113
How about this one?

http://madshi.net/madVR8810test2.rar
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:32   #30606  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I meant P8 state, sorry.
madshi did something to fix NNEDI3 quadrupling in the past with image enhancement because there was a similar issue.
I suppose it's still related to NNEDI3 quadrupling + image enhancement.
Driver gets totally stuck in P8 state, thus it drops lots of frames if it's too slow. It's not able anymore to enter a higher P-state unless the driver is restarted.
can you rename the mpc-hc.exe? it's very unlikely it will fix the issue but maybe nvidia tries to use a low power profile for mpc-hc.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:47   #30607  |  Link
aufkrawall

The MPC HC profile has some entries, whatever they mean.
Gonna delete it. I accidently also had prerendered frames limited to 1. Dunno if this makes any difference, since I don't use FSE, but I'll give it a try.
But since the issue occurs rather randomly, I don't think anything but changes in the driver or madVR would be successful.
Old 30th May 2015, 23:17   #30608  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No change. I tried to generate a new status log but it didn't generate. I'll try to get it again and post it if you need it.
Tried the log but only found this in the file... 00000000 000004d8 DLL_PROCESS_DETACH.
==
Ok, got the log file to work. Here it is. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...09885266799026

Last edited by cyberscott; 31st May 2015 at 00:24. Reason: log file added.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 23:42   #30609  |  Link
shaolin95

Guys, sorry to break the banding topic but I am trying to test for Chroma Upscaling and somehow I cant see the differences between even SoftCubic at softness 100 vs NEDDI 64 or Lanczos 4. Am I not using the best movie/images samples to see this or is something weird going on? I can see changes if I use the Image Enhancements options for example.

I am running Windows 8.1 64bits, GTX 750 with latest drivers. Latest version of madvr, ,mpc-h and lav filters. I tested this with my BenQ W1070 but also went to my other computer with an oldie gtx260 and did not see the difference either.

Maybe I am missing some settings? I want to be able to test this then move on to dithering, banding, etc but this is not a promising start lol
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 23:47   #30610  |  Link
huhn

do you use DXVA native decoding? you may get DXVA chroma this way.

have you checked if your device is 4:4:4? you can test this with this: http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png at 100% zoom.

chroma scaling has very little effect so it can be possible you simply don't see the difference because it is nearly 0.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 23:52   #30611  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
do you use DXVA native decoding? you may get DXVA chroma this way.

have you checked if your device is 4:4:4? you can test this with this: http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png at 100% zoom.

chroma scaling has very little effect so it can be possible you simply don't see the difference because it is nearly 0.
First of all, thank you for always helping me out man!

So, for the LAV video I actually have the Hardware decoder set to None so no DXVA or Cuvid selected.

I tested that image and when at 100% I can see the 4:4:4 on the right side of the screen next to the 4:2:2
I am trying to find some red fonts or something like that and get super close up to my screen to see if I can detect any changes now .
Old 30th May 2015, 23:55   #30612  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Guys, sorry to break the banding topic but I am trying to test for Chroma Upscaling and somehow I cant see the differences between even SoftCubic at softness 100 vs NEDDI 64 or Lanczos 4. Am I not using the best movie/images samples to see this or is something weird going on? I can see changes if I use the Image Enhancements options for example.
Those differences are really hard to spot.
Try this sample https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...psampling2.y4m
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 01:31   #30613  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Those differences are really hard to spot.
Try this sample https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...psampling2.y4m
Thanks a lot. Its very easy with that example indeed so I got a good idea now of how they behave. With Blurays though telling the difference is another story.
Old 31st May 2015, 04:11   #30614  |  Link
andybkma

Win7, Zoom Player, 32-bit

Hi madshi, found a bug with mVR 88.10 that is not occurring with 88.7. Whenever I try to play the attached link two AVC clips Zoom Player immediately crashes when I use either LAV or ffdshow as the AVC video decoder, whether software decoding, CUDA or Quicksync is selected. I duplicated the problem using PotPlayer and setting the same external AVC decoders as the video decoder. Oddly when I select PotPlayer's AVC built-in decoder the clips don't crash so perhaps that may help with figuring out what is wrong. Like I mentioned, this is new prob, the clips play fine with mVR 88.7. Please let me know what other info I can provide. Thanks

Download link for two clips: http://depositfiles.com/files/syv7ib458

Last edited by andybkma; 31st May 2015 at 04:17.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 06:08   #30615  |  Link
dansrfe

So, overlay mode is no longer used in conjunction with D3D11? I get a lot of presentation glitches in D3D11 windowed mode and none in overlay mode.

Last edited by dansrfe; 31st May 2015 at 07:28.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 06:44   #30616  |  Link
Asmodian

To be fare it is impossible to get "presentation glitches" reported when in overlay mode. madVR cannot monitor overlay for something like presentation glitches and you will notice the presentation glitch line in the OSD disappears when using overlay.

Yes, overlay is a D3D9 mode and the D3D11 option overrides it.
Old 31st May 2015, 07:24   #30617  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I have some more info for those of us having issues with D3D11 and PotPlayer.

I use a 72 Hz refresh rate for 23.976 playback (with ReClock) and a 60 Hz refresh rate for 29.970/59.940.... PotPlayer's onscreen info (TAB) will show 23.976-->72 (actually starts a little above 72, then falls to 72 and stays there). When the video is paused (or something else pulls focus away) there is a flicker (like going out of FSE) however ctrl-J still says FSE... and now the OSD of PP will show 23.976-->70 (and the 70 keeps falling until it hits 24)... ctrl-J shows empty queues (with no dropped frames, oddly enough) and playback gets super jittery. I have been racking my brains trying to find a way for this to work, but no setting in PP, ReClock or madVR allows me to pause the video and resume without this very very odd behavior. Playback is awesome as long as nothing interrupts it, but many times a video can be paused (can't miss anything for a beer run or to take a leak!!) and having to stop and restart each time is not an option. So I keep going back to D3D9.

To me, it seems that once the stream is interrupted, the refresh that is being reported gets altered in some way to that of the video and not the target... I just tried without ReClock, and everything I described above happens except the playback seems smooth, even with the last two queues not filling up. It's all very odd

QB
Old 31st May 2015, 08:14   #30618  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
No change. I tried to generate a new status log but it didn't generate. I'll try to get it again and post it if you need it.
Tried the log but only found this in the file... 00000000 000004d8 DLL_PROCESS_DETACH.
==
Ok, got the log file to work. Here it is. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...09885266799026
Hmmmm... If you activate the debug build, you use the original v0.88.10 build, because I only sent you a modified release build. But the problem still occurs with the modified release build, too, correct? I'll have to create a debug build for that then, to get a proper new debug log.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 10:10   #30619  |  Link
aufkrawall

Could it be that downscaling in linear light can totally shift an image in an unwanted way?
Some time ago, I did some tests with downscaling game sreenshots, and with linear light everything seemed to be getting too bright.

With this image, you can notice this as well:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...chip_trail.jpg

Btw: madshi, could you please teach AMD and Nvidia how to downscale properly? They are really struggling with this task with their DSR/VSR features.
Old 31st May 2015, 11:03   #30620  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Could it be that downscaling in linear light can totally shift an image in an unwanted way?
Some time ago, I did some tests with downscaling game sreenshots, and with linear light everything seemed to be getting too bright.
You are using Catmull-Rom for downscaling, right? With other algorithms, linear light might not look correct, its only really recommended for CR.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling