Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2015, 16:17   #33621  |  Link
ibius

Hi madshi,

I have a sample from an HDTV cap that SM FRC has trouble with, maybe you can improve it's behavior.
With the latest MPC-HCx64, madVR and LAV, in the first 5 seconds there's heavy frame jumping/repeating and after that it plays fine, disabling SM fixes issue at the start.
I tried different decoding modes in LAV to no avail, but madVR's rendering path made a difference.
The issue above only happens as described with D3D9 new path, with Overlay and D3D11 it's almost gone, and there's still something going on (huge rendering time spikes etc).
When tested with MPC-BEx64 and it's internal decoder the issue isn't as bad, but doesn't stop after 5 seconds and keeps occurring till the end.

Sample

Win8.1 x64, Nvidia, Eizo 60Hz 8-bit.

Last edited by ibius; 16th October 2015 at 16:19.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 16:18   #33622  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Did your computer freeze or did it reboot (BSoD)? Any details in the Windows Event Log?
No BSoD, only freezed, fully freezed. Press mouse or keyboard then system beep, and no event logs.
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 17:07   #33623  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.89.10 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

[code]* added SuperRes "sharpness" and "use linear light" options
* optimized SuperRes performance with high "strength" values
* modified subtitle mover to not change subtitle size, anymore
* added "zoom control" option to move subtitles
* added support for LAV DVD subtitle renderer
* fixed: XySubFilter: high-res PGS with smaller-res video: wrong sub position
* fixed: crash when LAV DVD subtitle renderer asked for a flush/clear
What is lav dvd subtitle renderer?
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 17:49   #33624  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Oh, that would be ugly. Can you double check whether you can reproduce that problem, and whether it's a new problem introduced by madVR or by the latest MPC-HC build or by the GPU driver, maybe? There was an AMD beta driver recently which leaked lots of (GPU?) RAM.
It seems to have been introduced between 0.89.9 and 0.89.10. I was running Catalyst 15.7, now upgraded to 15.10 beta but it does not make a difference. I have reset settings to absolute defaults. I start a small video at 100% zoom (windowed). As long as the zoom stays the same the RAM usage does not seem to grow much but when I start maximizing the window, then go back to 100% zoom, then maximize again, then go back to 100% ... the usage keeps growing and growing.

I created a (huge!) log if it helps:
1. open at 100%, wait for RAM to stabilize
2. maximize, then go 100% again
3. wait for RAM to stabilize
4. maximize, then go 100% again
5. wait for RAM to stabilize
http://217.160.126.132/madVR_mem_leak_log.7z
At the end of the 2.5 minute 480p video MPC-HC was at 1.5 GB RAM.

Anyone know which Catalyst versions exactly had the mem leak problem?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 17:53   #33625  |  Link
aufkrawall

Catalyst 15.9. There was a fix for this with 15.9.1, but maybe it's not fully fixed or there is another problem.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:11   #33626  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
What is lav dvd subtitle renderer?
A very new (released last night?) feature of LAV filters.
Old 16th October 2015, 19:22   #33627  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Gamma correct also increases the brightness in the case of SuperRes in a noticeable way (independent from the source?), at least if you choose a sharpness option > 2.
Oh, ok, didn't really expect that, but I guess it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
I wanted to ask you, concerning the above, is it expected to get seriously improved performance when, in "upscaling refinement" moving from SuperRes 3 to SuperRes 4? Is this what you are referring to when talking about "high strength"?

Previously SR wasn't impacting too much until 3, but 4 had a serious jump in computational power used. At least for me...
You're not saying strength 4 is faster than strength 3, are you? It's not supposed to be that way, if that's what you're saying.

Yes, the performance optimization mostly benefits high strength settings. The previous madVR build got very slow when using high strength. The latest build should still lose some performance when turning up strength, but far less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
I have a sample from an HDTV cap that SM FRC has trouble with, maybe you can improve it's behavior.
With the latest MPC-HCx64, madVR and LAV, in the first 5 seconds there's heavy frame jumping/repeating and after that it plays fine, disabling SM fixes issue at the start.
I tried different decoding modes in LAV to no avail, but madVR's rendering path made a difference.
The issue above only happens as described with D3D9 new path, with Overlay and D3D11 it's almost gone, and there's still something going on (huge rendering time spikes etc).
When tested with MPC-BEx64 and it's internal decoder the issue isn't as bad, but doesn't stop after 5 seconds and keeps occurring till the end.

Sample

Win8.1 x64, Nvidia, Eizo 60Hz 8-bit.
Ok, will have a look at that later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
It seems to have been introduced between 0.89.9 and 0.89.10. I was running Catalyst 15.7, now upgraded to 15.10 beta but it does not make a difference. I have reset settings to absolute defaults. I start a small video at 100% zoom (windowed). As long as the zoom stays the same the RAM usage does not seem to grow much but when I start maximizing the window, then go back to 100% zoom, then maximize again, then go back to 100% ... the usage keeps growing and growing.

I created a (huge!) log if it helps:
1. open at 100%, wait for RAM to stabilize
2. maximize, then go 100% again
3. wait for RAM to stabilize
4. maximize, then go 100% again
5. wait for RAM to stabilize
http://217.160.126.132/madVR_mem_leak_log.7z
At the end of the 2.5 minute 480p video MPC-HC was at 1.5 GB RAM.
Strange. I've checked my code and on a quick check I can't find anything that would explain a difference in RAM consumption between v0.88.9 and v0.88.10. Are you using XySubFilter? If so, can you check whether the same problem occurs with the MPC-HC internal subtitle renderer?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:25   #33628  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Yesterday I had the problem using ISR, I turned it off and played a video without subtitles to rule that out today. (I do have XySubFilter 746 installed, though.)
Old 16th October 2015, 19:26   #33629  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Could you tell what problems you had with ISR, thanks.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:27   #33630  |  Link
sneaker_ger

What I meant: the problem happens with and without ISR, i.e. ISR is not the problem.
Old 16th October 2015, 19:31   #33631  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Oh, ok. I though you had different issue with ISR and you disabled it.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:35   #33632  |  Link
tahaa7

I just noticed something interesting: when I watch a video in MPC-HC in windowed (non-Exclusive) mode, madvr seems not to be using GPU acceleration, and the CPU usage is 90-100%, while the GPU is at 10% or less. This of course reflects itself in video stuttering. However, when I switch to fullscreen exclusive mode and monitor CPU and GPU usage, it then becomes more like 50-50.

Is there a specific reason for that? Is that expected behaviour?
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:38   #33633  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yesterday I had the problem using ISR, I turned it off and played a video without subtitles to rule that out today. (I do have XySubFilter 746 installed, though.)
And you can 100% reproduce the problem with v0.89.11, but not at all with v0.89.9, without using XySubFilter, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahaa7 View Post
I just noticed something interesting: when I watch a video in MPC-HC in windowed (non-Exclusive) mode, madvr seems not to be using GPU acceleration, and the CPU usage is 90-100%, while the GPU is at 10% or less. This of course reflects itself in video stuttering. However, when I switch to fullscreen exclusive mode and monitor CPU and GPU usage, it then becomes more like 50-50.

Is there a specific reason for that? Is that expected behaviour?
Sounds strange. Has that always been that way? Or is it a new problem? Are you using software decoding or copyback or native hardware decoding? What GPU? OS? This is not an Optimus system, is it?
Old 16th October 2015, 19:47   #33634  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
And you can 100% reproduce the problem with v0.89.11, but not at all with v0.89.9, without using XySubFilter, is that correct?
Correct. (video has no subtitles to begin with, ISR is off, I even uninstalled XySubFilter to make sure just now)

I'm not using Aero. (In case it makes a difference)
Old 16th October 2015, 19:47   #33635  |  Link
Knight77

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I can't help you with that (I'm not a C++ dev ), but you can ask the MPC-HC/BE dev teams, I think they are smart enough for that

I'm against it at its current state, I made couple of screenshots around 1-2 week(s) ago, where you could easily see the unwanted modifications on the picture by it.
Are you suggesting to do not use Superres in chroma upscaling? Just to understand. What about image refinement in case of image not upscaled (I.e. 1080p>1080p)? Which refinement do you suggest ?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:50   #33636  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
You probably have not updated XySubFilter to build 745 yet, have you?
Na, that was on 745. I also noticed with double lined subs, when the video frame is set to normal on a larger resolution screen (1080 on 4k), one line is on the edge on the bottom of the video frame instead of inside, and one is in the black bars. Looks a bit weird.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 19:59   #33637  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Correct. (video has no subtitles to begin with, ISR is off, I even uninstalled XySubFilter to make sure just now)

I'm not using Aero. (In case it makes a difference)
I've tried to reproduce it here. I've reset madVR to default settings. Then I've played a NTSC DVD with DXVA deinterlacing and software decoding, switching back and forth between windowed and fullscreen playback (both FSE and windowed maximized). RAM consumption seems to be stable here. We're talking CPU RAM, not GPU RAM, right? Can you also try with default madVR settings and a DVD, so we do the same tests? If you can't reproduce the problem that way, either, could you please find out where the difference is between a setup that produces the problem and a setup which doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
At first the move subtitles wasn't working for me. Then it started to work. But it messes up when scrubbing through the video. With my .ASS sample it starts at the bottom if I have it selected, but if I scrub a bit then it goes higher up.
What exactly do you mean with "scrub"? It's not a term I'm familiar with in the context of video playback. Which subtitle move setting do you have selected? Can I have a sample of the video you have this problem with, and step-by-step guide to reproduce the problem with that sample?
Old 16th October 2015, 20:08   #33638  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Screenshot and sample, please!
Vobsub problem sample cut:
http://expirebox.com/download/556b09...043bca9e3.html

Can't get the screenshot with the subtitles in FSE/overlay/windowed.

Last edited by dansrfe; 16th October 2015 at 20:11.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 20:11   #33639  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
We're talking CPU RAM, not GPU RAM, right?
Correct.

Quote:
Can you also try with default madVR settings and a DVD, so we do the same tests?
I don't have any NTSC DVD at hand.
I used that sample:
wget -U quicktime http://movietrailers.apple.com/movie...tlr2_h480p.mov
(I can upload it somewhere if you don't have wget)
Old 16th October 2015, 20:27   #33640  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Vobsub problem sample cut:
http://expirebox.com/download/556b09...043bca9e3.html

Can't get the screenshot with the subtitles in FSE/overlay/windowed.
What should I see with that sample? It seems to work fine here, either with or without "move subtitles" enabled.

Quote:
I don't have any NTSC DVD at hand.
I used that sample:
wget -U quicktime http://movietrailers.apple.com/movie...tlr2_h480p.mov
(I can upload it somewhere if you don't have wget)
Have you tried with madVR reset to default settings? Are we talking about CPU RAM or GPU RAM? How are you measuring RAM consumption? And which RAM consumption numbers do you get with v0.89.9 and v0.89.11? Thanks!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling