Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th December 2015, 20:41   #34521  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Does the "Error Diffusion - option 1/2" work on DX11 GPU under WinXP?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 20:43   #34522  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Does the "Error Diffusion - option 1/2" work on DX11 GPU under WinXP?
No, DX11 features are not available on XP.
Old 8th December 2015, 20:48   #34523  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Is anyone able to read my crash log file and explain to me what happens? I reinstalled video drivers, windows, apps, formatted, and tried about every single solution I thought of, and with no luck so far.

madVR - crash report.txt

I am sure that I missed something, but setting up MPC-HC with madVR really made me curious what?

Also, what is the best software intended to be used with madVR? I mean, MPC-HC, or something else? (I had more frequent crashes using PotPlayer with external LAV than MPC-HC with internal LAV filters)
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 21:36   #34524  |  Link
GCRaistlin

How do I know that image doubling is activated? I enabled it in settings but OSD still says: "chroma > Jinc AR / image > Jinc AR".

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 8th December 2015, 21:51   #34525  |  Link
GCRaistlin

madshi
Last example in http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...17#post1271417 contains "srcAR" value name while there's no such value name in syntax description above.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 8th December 2015, 23:22   #34526  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
How do I know that image doubling is activated? I enabled it in settings but OSD still says: "chroma > Jinc AR / image > Jinc AR".
you should see it in the OSD so it isn't used currently.

nnedi3 may not work under XP in general. not sure right now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 23:31   #34527  |  Link
aufkrawall

Yes, support for it has been dropped with using OCL D3D11 interop.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 00:31   #34528  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Asmodian
Worth to add a note about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
support for it has been dropped with using OCL D3D11 interop
to "madVR Options Explained"

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 9th December 2015, 01:35   #34529  |  Link
Asmodian

Thanks, added.
Old 9th December 2015, 08:07   #34530  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamland View Post
Any issue with latest driver beta AMD Crimson 15.11.1 and MadVR?
(my grafic card is R9 380 on win 8.1 )
thx a lot
Zero Problems with Crimson on my Win 8.1 with a R9 270X.

In fact I have improved performance using the new Custom Resolutions and setting up my 60, 72 and 75 Hz refresh rates. As an example I can get my Plasma (circa 2007) to refresh at 72.000x (as reported by madVR ctrl-J) which is pretty damn near 72Hz... pair that with ReClock and things are super smooth.

QB
Old 9th December 2015, 08:56   #34531  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

A question maybe offtopic, I bought X-Rite colormunki, and I was wondering about something, when I calibrate the monitor via dispcal gui and argyll: 2.2 gamma etc. after the calibration is complete, I want to make a 3dlut for madvr (rec 1886, 2.4 gamma). It will be based on the created calibrated profile (icm) by dispcal gui, right? Or I'll have to make the whole calibration again for madvr exclusive only etc. another icm profile and 3dlut?

Last edited by Siso; 9th December 2015 at 09:04.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 10:44   #34532  |  Link
huhn

i would create a new one but the old ICM should work too.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 10:54   #34533  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i would create a new one but the old ICM should work too.
Will try that, thank you for your answer
Old 9th December 2015, 11:17   #34534  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
A question maybe offtopic, I bought X-Rite colormunki, and I was wondering about something, when I calibrate the monitor via dispcal gui and argyll: 2.2 gamma etc. after the calibration is complete, I want to make a 3dlut for madvr (rec 1886, 2.4 gamma). It will be based on the created calibrated profile (icm) by dispcal gui, right? Or I'll have to make the whole calibration again for madvr exclusive only etc. another icm profile and 3dlut?
Just jump over here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172783
Short version: I'm not sure, since dispalGUI may use different switches in the whole progress than you might have been using. I think it's safe to go through the whole process.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:40   #34535  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamland View Post
Any issue with latest driver beta AMD Crimson 15.11.1 and MadVR?
(my grafic card is R9 380 on win 8.1 )
thx a lot
There is no issue with MadVR itself in Crimson 15.1.1. (at least here and for now).

The only issue is indirect. Because AMD have taken out access to a lot of options in Crimson compared to Catalyst, it's not possible to select the dynamic range applied to other apps in the driver itself.

This setting has no effect on MadVR, but of course you need to get it to match the levels in MadVR to get correct levels with both MadVR and other software if you use any, for example PowerDVD15 for 3D Bluray and full BD Menus.

While in Catalyst, you could select PC Levels (0-255) or Video levels (16-235) independently of the pixel format setting (RGB Limited or RGB Full), now in Crimson this setting follows the pixel format settings.

The good thing is that Crimson fixes a long standing bug that used to cause levels issues with other software, for example for PDVD the levels were correct in 2D but incorrect in 3D. Now the levels are always correct.

This means that you might have to adjust your display settings to get the correct levels for all applications, compared to what you used to do with Catalyst.

For example, I used to have RGB Full, dynamic range set to 0-255 in the driver (due to catalyst bug now solved in Crimson), MadVR set to 16-235 and my JVC projector set to HDMI standard (16-235).

Now I keep the GPU set to RGB Full for best results in MadVR, MadVR is set to 0-255 and I have to set my JVC to HDMI enhanced to get the correct levels for both PDVD and MadVR as it's not possible to set the dynamic range for non-MadVR apps in the driver anymore.

I tried to use the RadeonMod utility to change the dynamic range in the driver, but it doesn't seem to work with my AMD7870, so it looks like I'll have to use HDMI enhanced unless the RadeonMod works for the R9 Fury that I'm getting this week.

Apart from this, no significant differences. It's probably a better way to do it, but for various reasons video levels works better for me in my set-up, hence why I was using it.

Of course none of this matters if you only use MadVR, but I thought it might be useful to share this.

The other great thing about Crimson is that it will be needed to support the Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter, which should be available in a few weeks and will give HDMI 2.0 with full 18gb/s bandwidth and HDCP 2.2 support to AMD boards. If only for this, it's highly recommended!

Finally Crimson seems to be solving for me a lot of instability with any driver more recent than Catalyst 14.12, for example I used to have MPC-BE crashing at launch with any recent catalyst. This seems to be gone for good with Crimson.

So overall, at least in my setup, a recommended upgrade.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 9th December 2015 at 13:44.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 13:11   #34536  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It's probably a better way to do it, but for various reasons video levels works better for me in my set-up, hence why I was using it.
Hhmm... In which way? In madvr as well?
Maybe I'll also try out that config: iGPU to full-range, Madvr to video-levels, TV to high black-level

I'm asking because yesterday I found out by accident what was the cause of my black crush.
Original setup: Intel drivers at default (it turned out it means limited RGB range via HDMI), madvr at PC-levels, TV is at low black-level setting. Result: bar 17 is missing from the black-level test video. (And the same happened (the last bar was clipped) but with the whites if you would set madvr to Video-level and the TV to high black-level.)
Correct setup: full-range hack applied to Intel, madvr at PC-levels, TV is at high black-level setting. Result: there's no clipping at all.
That means Intel driver color range conversion is faulty.

Edit: When you apply the fullRGB hack it applies to both displays with my system and it doesn't fix the black crush with the display of the laptop.

Last edited by chros; 9th December 2015 at 13:25.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 13:36   #34537  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Hhmm... In which way? In madvr as well?
It's probably a better way for MadVR to have the GPU set to RGB Full, MadVR set to 0-255 and the display set to HDMI enhanced because there is no risk of level compression, it's the same levels everywhere. I'm not an expert in this so I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

I prefer GPU to RGB Full and MadVR to 16-235 as well as display set to HDMI standard because it means that I can have the same settings in the display for all my sources (which are mostly video sources outputting video levels). Otherwise I have to switch HDMI settings every time I switch from the HTPC to another source (nothing that iRule can't handle gracefully). Also it might also be better for MadVR 3D LUT calibration with Calman, which expects video levels. I'm going to try with HDMI enhanced and see if it causes any issue with the calibration process.

If it doesn't, I'll stick to RGB Full, MadVR 0-255 and HDMI enhanced, if it does I'll have to try something else, maybe YCB 4:4:4, which might also be better for HDR anyway.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 9th December 2015 at 14:04.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 13:58   #34538  |  Link
Dreamland

thanks so much for great report! i use Madvr + MPC-HC+Lav
and now i know can't have issue with latest Crimson

Last edited by Dreamland; 9th December 2015 at 14:04.
Dreamland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:16   #34539  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Just jump over here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172783
Short version: I'm not sure, since dispalGUI may use different switches in the whole progress than you might have been using. I think it's safe to go through the whole process.
Sounds somehow complicated...
Old 9th December 2015, 15:23   #34540  |  Link
Uoppi

When the madVR OSD reads "IVTC" even though the video is not telecined, what processing is madVR doing exactly? Only detecting cadence and nothing more? Or should "IVTC" only be displayed when the material is actually telecined, i.e. is it somehow detrimental to have it on "just in case"?

Is there an explanation somewhere what are all the things the "IVTC" processing might be doing depending on the material?
- Pulldown removal
- Frame skipping
- Only cadence detection if material is not telecined (?)
- Something else?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling