Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th December 2015, 19:27   #34581  |  Link
a8213711

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
sorry but you have to be more clear.

currently your TV is always set to 720p50 and nothing else and the screen should doe the rest of the scaling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
OK, let's try it one more time I understand what's your goal, but you don't understand what we try to tell you

So, that's perfect! That's how you can test what you want, if the 720p video is fullscreen on your TV (which probably is).
Since your TV native resolution is 1080p and you feed it with 720p and since it's fullscreen -> your TV is doing the upscaling from 720p to 1080p. That's it.
Now, if you wan to ask then how can you compare 1080p upscaling: the answer is you can't.

You can't. It has to be at least chroma upscaling. What you can do is:
- 1. set the chroma upscaling to a fast (although dumb) one, e.g. bicubic 50
- 2.a. (as you suggested below) play only content (720p/1080p) that what your resolution is
- 2.b. or manually switch the resolution before you start one (I'm not sure you can do this automatically)
Sorry, I tried only a file which had black borders and this showed me a video "not in fullscreen"; how unlucky!
Then I tried another file but the TV at 720p cut some borders! (in ctrl+j: Movie Resolution=704x576 and Target Rectangle=0,0,1280,720)
Weird thing is that this same file at 1080p shows in ctrl+j: Mov Res=720x576! This is weird, right?
Right now I can't control, but I'm quite sure I have "touch from inside" option, if it matters.

Thank you for bearing with me!
a8213711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 19:34   #34582  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
in case I want to play an upcoming blu-ray which has 4k 60Hz, HDR with 48fps with madVR and LAVvideo, would I need a graphic card with HDMI 2.0a to connect to my TV?
you first need to wait for a way to decrypt the disc.

but after this there is most likely a way to play these files back even on an SDR 1080p screen.

BTW. 48 hz is not part of the UBD and hdmi 2.0 spec.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 20:33   #34583  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
you first need to wait for a way to decrypt the disc.

but after this there is most likely a way to play these files back even on an SDR 1080p screen.

BTW. 48 hz is not part of the UBD and hdmi 2.0 spec.
sorry I meant HDR which is supposed to require HDMI 2.0a. so in that case a new graphic card with 2.0a support would be needed?
Old 12th December 2015, 20:52   #34584  |  Link
huhn

madshi said he want to send it as normal "gamma" so no.

but you need an nvidia card for 60 FPS UHD output. and an nvidia maxwell card for UHD 4:4:4 at 60 HZ.
Old 12th December 2015, 21:45   #34585  |  Link
garson

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
At this stage, I not sure Windows 10 is mature enough. I know for sure Windows 8.1 has all the drivers I need. I'll eventually move to 10 when I know all my hardware and software will work without issues.

QB
Well, to be honest, I think same way for Win8(.1). Something like Vista, but not that bad.

You said that Win8.1 is better for madVR then Win7. Can you provide more details?
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 21:52   #34586  |  Link
huhn

desktop composition is broken on windows 7/vista. it's trivial to get an composition mismatch on these operation systems which results in a lot of playback issues.

this issue is fixed with windows 8+
Old 12th December 2015, 23:15   #34587  |  Link
huhn

can someone with an AMD card and crimson driver test deinterlacing?

in my test it looks like this driver uses NN bob or something terrible like this...
Old 13th December 2015, 00:42   #34588  |  Link
garson

Quote:
desktop composition is broken on windows 7/vista. it's trivial to get an composition mismatch on these operation systems which results in a lot of playback issues.

this issue is fixed with windows 8+
I'm not into this that much, so I have to ask.
How desktop composition has an effect on madvr ?
I see that it's disabled when Aero is off.
Old 13th December 2015, 01:03   #34589  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garson View Post
I'm not into this that much, so I have to ask.
How desktop composition has an effect on madvr ?
I see that it's disabled when Aero is off.
Desktop composition controls screen updates (v-sync) but madVR also wants to be in control of screen updates and they conflict so you get stutter or even dropped frames.

With desktop composition off you should avoid most problems but some users have reported tearing (two different frames displayed in the same v-sync). I am not sure why tearing happens with desktop composition off, madVR should v-sync itself, but I have seen it.

It seems like Windows 7's desktop composition was designed while assuming a single monitor at 60 Hz.

edit:
Quote:

in my test it looks like this driver uses NN bob or something terrible like this...
Do you know if Windowed Overlay works well with Crimson? I want to remove the note about only for Intel and Nvidia in madVR options explained if it does.

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th December 2015 at 01:08.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 01:08   #34590  |  Link
huhn

the desktop composition is need for v sync. so with it disabled you don't have v sync so it is need for windowed mode.
the next issue on vista/7 with the desktop composition is that only one desktop composition rate can be used for all devices. so using a laptop with 60 hz only display and a TV is going to ruin your day...
than windows vista/7 have a huge issue with changing the desktop composition. for example you switch to 23p to watch a movie but the desktop composition stays at the old 60 hz for what ever reason.
this happens all the time...

this can be avoided with windows 8+ or FSE/overlay mode.

but i'm pretty sure i was able to break FSE on windows 7 too with my dual display setup. but i'm over windows 7 for a long time.

aero/desktop composition issue where the reason i sticked to crappy XP x64 for some time.
Old 13th December 2015, 01:11   #34591  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Do you know if Windowed Overlay works well with Crimson? I want to remove the note about only for Intel and Nvidia in madVR options explained if it does.
just tested it and no AMD doesn't support overlay.

crimson is just on typical new driver with an new UI that is missing a ton of settings. like deinterlace options and stuff like this.
Old 13th December 2015, 01:31   #34592  |  Link
RyuzakiL

OS + Madvr Stability/Crossfire mode

Win 7 + Madvr = Crossfire always on but stable with no dropped frams

Win 8 + Madvr = Crossfire disabled but you have to use SXBR with no dropped frames (Best Combination)

Win 10 + Madvr = Crossfire always on Unstable, Madvr always crashes (Piece of Crap)

this was running on 2X HD7850 with Latest AMD Crimson Driver (Beta Hotfix.) All are on tested on a clean installed machine.

I suggest you stay away from Windows 10+AMD Crimson Driver combination till they sort this shit out.

Now going back to Windows 8.
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 01:33   #34593  |  Link
garson

Quote:
Desktop composition controls screen updates (v-sync) but madVR also wants to be in control of screen updates and they conflict so you get stutter or even dropped frames.

With desktop composition off you should avoid most problems but some users have reported tearing (two different frames displayed in the same v-sync). I am not sure why tearing happens with desktop composition off, madVR should v-sync itself, but I have seen it.

It seems like Windows 7's desktop composition was designed while assuming a single monitor at 60 Hz.
Quote:
the desktop composition is need for v sync. so with it disabled you don't have v sync so it is need for windowed mode.
the next issue on vista/7 with the desktop composition is that only one desktop composition rate can be used for all devices. so using a laptop with 60 hz only display and a TV is going to ruin your day...
than windows vista/7 have a huge issue with changing the desktop composition. for example you switch to 23p to watch a movie but the desktop composition stays at the old 60 hz for what ever reason.
this happens all the time...

this can be avoided with windows 8+ or FSE/overlay mode.

but i'm pretty sure i was able to break FSE on windows 7 too with my dual display setup. but i'm over windows 7 for a long time.

aero/desktop composition issue where the reason i sticked to crappy XP x64 for some time.
Thanks Asmodian and huhn.

I'm using classic theme so no Aero.
Also, I use FSE and I didn't check Disable Desktop Composition (I guess it doesn't matter with FSE and no Aero).
I didn't know about tearing issue, never saw it on my setup (probably because of FSE).
Old 13th December 2015, 01:49   #34594  |  Link
garson

I have Samsung 1080p LED TV, in nvidia control panel I see following screen refresh rates:
23Hz,24Hz, 25Hz Interlaced, 29Hz Interlaced, 30Hz Interlaced, 50Hz, 59Hz, and 60Hz.

What do you suggest to put in Display Modes in madvr settings?

Also, should I enable Smooth motion (I did so far)?

Thanks.
Old 13th December 2015, 02:08   #34595  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:

I tested this and indeed it looks like it's bork now . I'm on Windows 7 x64 with R9 200 Series.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 02:11   #34596  |  Link
lanzorg

Madshi could you add supersampling or a way to use image doubling for any videos?
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 02:11   #34597  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garson View Post
I have Samsung 1080p LED TV, in nvidia control panel I see following screen refresh rates:
23Hz,24Hz, 25Hz Interlaced, 29Hz Interlaced, 30Hz Interlaced, 50Hz, 59Hz, and 60Hz.

What do you suggest to put in Display Modes in madvr settings?

Also, should I enable Smooth motion (I did so far)?

Thanks.
I would use 23 Hz, 50 Hz, and 59 Hz. Set smooth motion to "only if there would be motion judder without it..."

Or nothing and use smooth motion most of the time.

Personally I like using smooth motion and not using display modes, it avoids the flicker when changing display modes. If you notice smooth motion's blurring display mode changing is required but if you don't smooth motion is even better because it perfectly matches timings so you never get dropped or repeated frames during normal playback. When using standard refresh rates you need to use Reclock or similar or you still get drops/repeats. Or you can use custom refresh rates and tune the refresh rate to match the source frame rates almost exactly, this is somewhat complicated and requires trial and error.

Smooth motion is so easy.
Old 13th December 2015, 02:12   #34598  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktan View Post
I tested this and indeed it looks like it's bork now . I'm on Windows 7 x64 with R9 200 Series.
How about windowed overlay? Is it functional? Does it work well?

Thanks.
Old 13th December 2015, 02:28   #34599  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Win 7 + Madvr = Crossfire always on but stable with no dropped frams

Win 8 + Madvr = Crossfire disabled but you have to use SXBR with no dropped frames (Best Combination)

Win 10 + Madvr = Crossfire always on Unstable, Madvr always crashes (Piece of Crap)

this was running on 2X HD7850 with Latest AMD Crimson Driver (Beta Hotfix.) All are on tested on a clean installed machine.

I suggest you stay away from Windows 10+AMD Crimson Driver combination till they sort this shit out.

Now going back to Windows 8.
I am still using the non-Crimson driver v15.11.1. Crimson is still too immature for daily usage; then again so is Windows 10. I would have stuck with Windows 7 if it wasn't for DirectX 12.

I am trying to see if disabling ULPS or actually forcing Crossfire to on for MPC/madVR will fix the problem.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 02:35   #34600  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
How about windowed overlay? Is it functional? Does it work well?

Thanks.
As huhn said in the previous page, no it still doesn't work (I think you just missed it )

Last edited by Aktan; 13th December 2015 at 02:39.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling