Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th December 2016, 13:04   #41461  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Try to un-tick "Enable mixing" in LAV Audio. But what does this have to do with madvr? Do you have this problem only with madvr but not with other video renderers?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 13:09   #41462  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Try to un-tick "Enable mixing" in LAV Audio. But what does this have to do with madvr? Do you have this problem only with madvr but not with other video renderers?

I know it has nothing to do with madvr. However, many madvr users are also using reclock. I thought maybe they can share their experience as well with this renderer.

Unticking doesn't help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th December 2016, 15:54   #41463  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Well madVR has nothing to do with audio, so this is not really the place to ask....
but shouldn't this happen automatically? do you have reclock in exclusive mode?
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 16:14   #41464  |  Link
Patrik G

SuperRes filter för chroma upscaling what does it do in practice?
i can see that with the almost too sharp NGU adding SuperRes makes the image less "messy".
resolution to the image is back again.

after some more testing NGU alone for chroma upscaling is on the limit to being too sharp.
and with a too sharp image resolution is lost.
SuperRes seems to bring down that artificial added sharpness to natural/correct levels.

anyway im going to use it

Last edited by Patrik G; 13th December 2016 at 20:55.
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 17:11   #41465  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Super-XBR 150 vs NGU Very High

I feel NGU for chroma goes a bit overboard, super-xbr looks quite nice here.

Indeed. I should really evaluate it against NNEDI3 for some of my profiles.

Yeah, I wanted as as accurate as I could too, and huhn said the same thing to me. Like I said you only need it accurate "enough" which means if it only drops a frame every five plus hours and you never play anything over three hours you're never going to see a dropped frame. I haven't seen one since I've changed it and it's been glorious.

I might not have considered 24Hz had huhn not been so adamant about his preference for it.. The motion is just more clear at 24Hz on my plasma and really seems to pop.
It's more enjoyable and now I don't get any dropped frames so I reckon it's pretty much perfect.
How does the result looks compared to this sample

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/193279

and what was the actuall source input here ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 17:47   #41466  |  Link
Buckster

any ideas to whether a AMD 460 or 1050/1050TI would cope with the new NGU chroma etc upscaling please ?

tried it on my gaming PC (overclocked 290) and am very impressed with the results

the HTPC I am considering does not have a PCI-E power connector, so a 460 or 1050Ti are about best I could fit in if I went that route

cheers
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 18:19   #41467  |  Link
huhn

polaris is performing very bad with NGU.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 18:28   #41468  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
any ideas to whether a AMD 460 or 1050/1050TI would cope with the new NGU chroma etc upscaling please ?

tried it on my gaming PC (overclocked 290) and am very impressed with the results

the HTPC I am considering does not have a PCI-E power connector, so a 460 or 1050Ti are about best I could fit in if I went that route

cheers
With rx 470 I can go till NGU med(maximum hd material) before having dropped frames but I am upscaling to 4k.

Last edited by Damien147; 13th December 2016 at 18:32.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 22:40   #41469  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
How does the result looks compared to this sample

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/193279

and what was the actual source input here ?
I could cut a clip, you can find it on the film Kubo and The Two Strings @ ~2:52
Super-xbr 150AR vs NGU very high

Since that Samara clip has been used a bit, I'll show a shot from that too.
Super-xbr 150AR vs NGU very high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
SuperRes filter för chroma upscaling what does it do in practice?
i can see that with the almost too sharp NGU adding SuperRes makes the image less "messy".
resolution to the image is back again.

after some more testing NGU alone for chroma upscaling is on the limit to being too sharp.
and with a too sharp image resolution is lost.
SuperRes seems to bring down that artificial added sharpness to natural/correct levels.
Though that isn't the case. SuperRes always makes it sharper, SuperRes seems like over kill to me.

From Kubo.
NGU very high vs NGU very high SuperRes 4

From Samara.
NGU very high vs NGU very high SuperRes 4

Last edited by ryrynz; 13th December 2016 at 22:45.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 23:21   #41470  |  Link
dansrfe

For some reason if I leave MPC-HC/madVR paused and the mouse/keyboard inactive long enough then either the gfx card or motherboard makes a long beep sound and reboots. The screen is set to turn off after 3 mins, a couple mins after this I hear the beep and it reboots.

Card: 670 GTX
Driver: 376.09
MPC-HC: x64, 11/7
LAV Filters
Internal Audio Renderer

D3D9 overlay
chroma > NGU-high
luma > NGU-high < Bicubic150 AR
chroma > Bicubic60 AR
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 23:37   #41471  |  Link
ryrynz

Won't be anything madshi can fix. You need to troubleshoot just about everything in your setup.
Start with the software.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 23:42   #41472  |  Link
Warner306

@madshi,

Check out this post by a new user using the new image doubling menus. It is revealing what someone with basic knowledge and a good graphics card would do in these menus.

Note the choices he made (set everything on high) and what he didn't understand (downscaling after doubling and supersampling).

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...009#pid2478009

Maybe downscaling after doubling could be called reduce overshoot of target resolution with image downscaling.

Last edited by Warner306; 13th December 2016 at 23:46.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 01:04   #41473  |  Link
huhn

if they would understand that 2x scaling can created images bigger than the target they would understand downscaling too.

in my eyes a menu that is very easy to understand is impossible and a waste of time.

there is no way to make the concept of YCbCr understandable on a setting page.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 01:29   #41474  |  Link
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Don't need perfect 23.976, just close enough, although depending on card you may already be close enough without needing to do this.

My pick with be Nvidia, seems to play a lot nicer with madVR overall plus far better power efficiency. I wouldn't bother with NNEDI3 64 neurons for chroma (I'd personally wouldn't use anything over NNEDI 3 32)
better off with NGU (if you like it sharp) try super-xbr and free up some headroom for luma stuff.
Wow, thanks for this. I'm on a 60" Panasonic ST60 and doing this has me at 23.97651 atm with 0.00200% deviation and 1 frame drop every 1.3~ days (and now sometimes saying 2-3 days). That's pretty close to perfect for a super easy change.

Edit: Double wow. Actually having MadVR read out: "No frame drops/repeats expected" on some files now. Never saw that before.

Last edited by Sean; 14th December 2016 at 01:49.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 01:54   #41475  |  Link
Neo-XP

The UI could be easier to understand to everyone if it was logical.

For instance, there should be only 2 main pages under "scaling algorithms", organized like this :

|-image upscaling
| |-luma
| |-chroma
| |-image doubling [high quality]
| |-upscaling refinement
|-image downscaling

or

|-image upscaling
| |-luma (with an image doubling section or individual tab)
| |-chroma (with an image doubling section or individual tab)
| |-upscaling refinement
|-image downscaling

For the image doubling algorithms, only 2 choices for upscaling/downscaling after doubling : "let madVR decide" and "use the luma upscaling/downscaling settings".
New users could select "let madVR decide" for everything (as madshi wants) and advanced users could pick exactly the right algorithm for their taste and configuration.

The new UI with redundant choices and algorithms in drop-down lists is confusing and limited. The old UI just needed some little adjustments in my opinion.
I'm sure that madshi will figure out somehow how to elegantly organize all this.

Edit : Just throwing out some ideas, peace.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 14th December 2016 at 02:14.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 02:12   #41476  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Wow, thanks for this. I'm on a 60" Panasonic ST60 and doing this has me at 23.97651 atm with 0.00200% deviation and 1 frame drop every 1.3~ days (and now sometimes saying 2-3 days). That's pretty close to perfect for a super easy change.

Edit: Double wow. Actually having MadVR read out: "No frame drops/repeats expected" on some files now. Never saw that before.
Which audio renderer are you using?
Old 14th December 2016, 02:22   #41477  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
For some reason if I leave MPC-HC/madVR paused and the mouse/keyboard inactive long enough then either the gfx card or motherboard makes a long beep sound and reboots. The screen is set to turn off after 3 mins, a couple mins after this I hear the beep and it reboots.

LAV Filters
Internal Audio Renderer

D3D9 overlay
chroma > NGU-high
chroma > Bicubic60 AR
Something similar was happening with AMD with RX 400 series cards, but has been rectified in 16.12.1. It's likely a driver thing.

I did notice that it still seems to render frames when paused, when you pause the player it should pause the rendering and have zero cpu and gpu use from the player.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 02:28   #41478  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
The UI could be easier to understand to everyone if it was logical.

For instance, there should be only 2 main pages under "scaling algorithms", organized like this :

|-image upscaling
| |-luma
| |-chroma
| |-image doubling [high quality]
| |-upscaling refinement
|-image downscaling

or

|-image upscaling
| |-luma (with an image doubling section or individual tab)
| |-chroma (with an image doubling section or individual tab)
| |-upscaling refinement
|-image downscaling

For the image doubling algorithms, only 2 choices for upscaling/downscaling after doubling : "let madVR decide" and "use the luma upscaling/downscaling settings".
New users could select "let madVR decide" for everything (as madshi wants) and advanced users could pick exactly the right algorithm for their taste and configuration.

The new UI with redundant choices and algorithms in drop-down lists is confusing and limited. The old UI just needed some little adjustments in my opinion.
I'm sure that madshi will figure out somehow how to elegantly organize all this.

Edit : Just throwing out some ideas, peace.
The resulting menu would be too cluttered, imo. I want to see the choices at a glance.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 03:03   #41479  |  Link
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Which audio renderer are you using?
MPC Internal Audio Renderer with Device out to my Onkyo Receiver and Exclusive Mode and Allow Bitstreaming checked.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 04:45   #41480  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post

LAV Filters
Internal Audio Renderer

D3D9 overlay
chroma > NGU-high
chroma > Bicubic60 AR
omg are u serious NGU-high for your GTX 670??? i suggest set NGU-low or other alternatives.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling