Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 21st January 2017, 22:08   #25521  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Dumb question. How can you IVTC 1080p video? 720p59.94, but not 1080p. IVTC is done on 1080i video.

1080p means that the 1080i was deinterlaced, making IVTC impossible.
Nope. That is an incorrect statement. I do it all the time. If you capture from satellite, for example, it's 1080p at 29.97fps. If you look at it (and it is an original film source) you'll see that every 5th frame is repeated. Telecining doesn't imply interlaced video. In this case it just represents converting 23.976fps original video to 29.97fps by repeating a frame. It's hard-telecined (meaning it doesn't use flags to create the additional frame). Mixing odd/even fields from two frames of an interlaced source to add an additional frame is one type of telecining -- but not the only one.

Anyway, it's meant as an additional tool for those who need it (like me), not as a focus for a debate on semantics.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st January 2017 at 22:22.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:30   #25522  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
- Fixed an issue in which the HDMV header on
CLPI filse of AVCHD backups could be created
incorrectly.
Thanx. Will try it tonight.

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:43   #25523  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
If you look at it (and it is an original film source) you'll see that every 5th frame is repeated. Telecining doesn't imply interlaced video. In this case it just represents converting 23.976fps original video to 29.97fps by repeating a frame.
Must be DirecTV or Dish, since 1080p isn't allowed for ATSC compliant transmissions. All 1080 cable channel sources (AMC, TNT, etc.) that have scripted dramas will be 1080i 2:3 pulldown.

Here is some tidbit info. Warner Bros. programs that are fed to Canada (CTV, etc.) can either be 1080i 2:3 pulldown or 1080i repeat frame. If they feed from a file source, it is repeat frame. If they feed from a tape source, it is 2:3 pulldown. It is 1080i because it is for OTA.

Lately they have mostly been feeding from files. Programs include shows like Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Big Bang Theory, Lucifer.

Oh, there are no 1080p feeds via my satellite captures.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:55   #25524  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Must be DirecTV or Dish, since 1080p isn't allowed for ATSC compliant transmissions. All 1080 cable channel sources (AMC, TNT, etc.) that have scripted dramas will be 1080i 2:3 pulldown.

Here is some tidbit info. Warner Bros. programs that are fed to Canada (CTV, etc.) can either be 1080i 2:3 pulldown or 1080i repeat frame. If they feed from a file source, it is repeat frame. If they feed from a tape source, it is 2:3 pulldown. It is 1080i because it is for OTA.

Lately they have mostly been feeding from files. Programs include shows like Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Big Bang Theory, Lucifer.

The 1080i sources that have the repeated frame usually aren't actually 1080i. They are progressive (meaning there is no temporal difference between the two fields). So you have a 1080p source at 23.976 -- with a repeated frame thrown in to make it 29.97 that is just flagged as 1080i to make it compliant with ATSC transmission standards. That's a good thing -- because you can recover the original film source easily as progressive. It can also be true with those using pulldown flags.

Quote:
Must be component capture, eh?

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st January 2017 at 23:08.
Old 21st January 2017, 22:59   #25525  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
Thanx. Will try it tonight.

//LD
See if it fixes the playback problem on your old Sony player as well... I'm hoping it might.
Old 21st January 2017, 23:33   #25526  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
The 1080i sources that have the repeated frame usually aren't actually 1080i. They are progressive (meaning there is no temporal difference between the two fields). So you have a 1080p source at 23.976 -- with a repeated frame thrown in to make it 29.97 that is just flagged as 1080i to make it compliant with ATSC transmission standards. That's a good thing -- because you can recover the original film source easily as progressive. It can also be true with those using pulldown flags.
OK, I see where you are coming from. I strictly call 1080i video as 1080i video, even if it has progressive content. And yes, recovering the 23.976 content from the repeat frame source is easy with the AVS selectevery() filter. The 2:3 pulldown has a couple of AVS filter ways in which to do that. I then get true 1080p23.976. Plays nice and smooth that way.

GDMX does the 2:3 pulldown, or repeat frame, conversion on the fly. Their sources are 1080p23.976.

Quote:
Must be component capture, eh?
Nope, direct satellite IRD (PCI card & USB) controlled via TSReader to TS (Transport Stream) file, or professional satellite IRD via ASI card/TSReader to TS file. 10' and 12' dishes.

Last edited by MrVideo; 21st January 2017 at 23:59.
Old 21st January 2017, 23:41   #25527  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I found a minor bug with the Page/Prev/Next labels.

[...]

I think the temporary cure, in my case, is to put a bunch of spaces at the end of the text of one of the titles.
That worked. Until a permanent fix is found, I'll have to do this trick if I have more than one page and short title text.
Old 22nd January 2017, 00:04   #25528  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
OK, I see where you are coming from. I strictly call 1080i video as 1080i video, even if it has progressive content. And yes, recovering the 23.976 content from the repeat frame source is easy with the AVS selectevery() filter.
Since the repeated frame might change at scene changes or cuts, I use Decimate(cycle=5) or tDecimate() depending upon the selection in the INI file.
Old 22nd January 2017, 00:56   #25529  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Since the repeated frame might change at scene changes or cuts, I use Decimate(cycle=5) or tDecimate() depending upon the selection in the INI file.
Because my files are from the 1080p23.976 sub-masters, the repeat frame cadence is intact throughout the file. When I edit the file, with VideoReDo, to tighten up the commercial blacks, I remove frames in groups of 5, so that the cadence is kept. That way the selectevery() won't have an issue.

Using selectevery() with BDRB is possible, only if the user knows which frame is the first of the two repeat frames, and there is an INI setting for it. Not worth doing though.

The repeated frame should never change at scene changes. All scripted shows are produced/edited at 23.976. So, when converted to 2:3 pulldown or repeat frame, the cadence of either is kept throughout the telecined file. Only when commercials are added during play out can the cadence be lost. That is where editing programs like VideoReDo can allow you to edit telecined sources and get back the repeat frame cadence. But, my files do not have commercials, so that isn't a problem.
Old 22nd January 2017, 03:58   #25530  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
See if it fixes the playback problem on your old Sony player as well... I'm hoping it might.
The clpi works in bdedit now and seems to be ok. No luck with the old sony though. I can't think of anything else to check. Would it be possible for you, if you have the time, to do a quick comparison with either multiAVCHD (with avchd output) or AVCHDCoder. The output from them both work in the old sony.

//LD
Old 22nd January 2017, 07:48   #25531  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I have updated the first post of this thread with a link to the latest version of BD-RB (v0.50.21). Changes for this release:
Code:
- Corrected an error in which 3D sources in
  SBS/OU output mode were not forced to be
  encoded when the original was small enough
  to fit on the target.
- Added a new hidden option. IVTC_1080p will
  force inverse telecining on 1080p sources
  that have a framerate of 29.97fps.  Care
  should be taken -- as this should only be
  set when you know the source was originally
  filmed at 24fps (23.976).
- Added a new filter prefix. "L:nnnnn". It
  applies the specified filter only when the
  M2TS being encoded is found in the playlist
  specified by "nnnnn". As an example, a line
  containing "l:00001Tweak(bright=10.0)" would
  increase the brightness only on video that
  is a part of playlist 00001.
- Corrected a "CreateQuickMenu(), 0000, 4020" 
  error that can occur when using a complex 
  font for a Quick Menu or Import.
- Fixed an issue in which reencoding audio to
  ALTERNATE/Auto-AC3 from an Auto-AC3 (VBR)
  source could result in blank output.
- Fixed an issue in which a 3D source feature
  that is flagged for the base view to be the
  right picture (atypical) was not carrying 
  over when outputting to a non-ALTERNATE 
  movie-only structure.  The result would be 
  an apparent swapped left/right picture.
- Corrected a problem in which .SRT files
  that had the same name (minus extension) as
  an imported file source were not being 
  imported on containers other than the .MKV 
  format.
- Fixed an issue in which selecting output to
  3D/SBS for movie-only encoding could have
  and unexpected impact on a full 3D backup. 
- Corrected a problem in which variable frame
  rate sources could, under certain conditions
  result in out-of-sync audio during the file 
  import process.
- Fixed an issue in which the HDMV header on
  CLPI files of AVCHD backups could be created 
  incorrectly.
- Updated the included version of X265.EXE to 
  the latest release (v2.2.17).
- Updated the included version of X265-64.EXE 
  to  the latest release (v2.2.17).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
WOW! You were seriously busy JD! Thank you!

BTW, are there any updates with x264? I didn't notice any new versions in this build mentioned. Do you know if there are still any speed issues using it with LAVF? Is BDRB still using x264L-64.exe for LAVF?
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:56   #25532  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Code:
 - Fixed an issue in which selecting output to
  3D/SBS for movie-only encoding could have
  and unexpected impact on a full 3D backup.
This means, when selecting "Full backup" mode the setting "Enable 3D SBS/OU for Movie-only output" is now just ignored, right?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:22   #25533  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
I have updated the first post of this thread with a link to the latest version of BD-RB (v0.50.21).
Aww yeah - thank you! I'll start running tests immediately. Y'know, this might merit another donation from yours truly...
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:36   #25534  |  Link
Yordan5

Interesting results. I shrank Jack Reacher Never Go Back (movie only) from approx. 28Gb to 14.5Gb twice for testing purposes. Using BD-RB Default settings (Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR) took approx 1h 50min and the resulting copy according to BDInfo was with 16mb average bitrate. Second job was with High Quality (Default), ABR and took 6hrs with the copy having average bitrate of 10Mb. I cannot see obvious difference in visual quality but thought that the Higher Quality setting should've produced higher bitrates copy. Might as well stick with the faster settings then.

Last edited by Yordan5; 22nd January 2017 at 21:58.
Yordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:36   #25535  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
The clpi works in bdedit now and seems to be ok. No luck with the old sony though. I can't think of anything else to check. Would it be possible for you, if you have the time, to do a quick comparison with either multiAVCHD (with avchd output) or AVCHDCoder. The output from them both work in the old sony.

//LD
I know they aren't the same. I found a couple of inconsistencies in multiAVCHD that I corrected based upon the specification.

What I will do, though, is look for other things (like the header issue you reported).
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:37   #25536  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
WOW! You were seriously busy JD! Thank you!

BTW, are there any updates with x264? I didn't notice any new versions in this build mentioned. Do you know if there are still any speed issues using it with LAVF? Is BDRB still using x264L-64.exe for LAVF?
That's a tough one for me -- as the speed issue seems to come and go at will when I'm testing it. For right now, yes, it is still using X264L-64.exe for LAVF.
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:38   #25537  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
This means, when selecting "Full backup" mode the setting "Enable 3D SBS/OU for Movie-only output" is now just ignored, right?
Yes. So you can leave it checked and it shouldn't affect full backups anymore. I haven't given up on your request -- but I wanted to correct the obvious error for this release.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd January 2017 at 22:43.
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:40   #25538  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yordan5 View Post
Interesting results. I shrank Jack Reacher Never Go Back (movie only) from approx. 28Gb to 14.5Gb twice for testing purposes. Using BD-RB Default settings (Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR) took approx 1h 50min and the resulting copy according to BDInfo was with 16mb average bitrate. Second job was with High Quality (Default), ABR and took 6hrs with the copy having average bitrate of 10Mb. I cannot see obvious difference in visual quality but thought that the Higher Quality setting should've produced higher bitrates copy. Might as well stick with the faster settings then.
Actually it would be the opposite. Using high quality settings uses more "bells and whistles" (at the expense of encoding speed) that can get the same quality with a lesser size (lower bitrate). This was a CRF encode, I assume?
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:02   #25539  |  Link
Sharc

I am still getting the error when trying to import HUFFYUV compressed .avi sources. I assume that the codec has not yet been added to the list in v0.50.21, or do I miss something?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:44   #25540  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
I know they aren't the same. I found a couple of inconsistencies in multiAVCHD that I corrected based upon the specification.

What I will do, though, is look for other things (like the header issue you reported).
Thank you for looking into it. I also tested an avchd output made from tsMuxeR just to see and it too worked on both the old Sony and the PS3.

//LD