Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th April 2017, 00:53   #43521  |  Link
igvk

Using 3dlut

Hello,
I have created .3dlut in displayCal for my display (NEC PA302W), using i1 Display 2 calibrator.
And recently I noticed some bad artifacts in video when this 3dlut is used in madVR.
Here is a screenshot (the saturated color patches can be seen, especially in the left part of the image).

The video is ok when i disable calibration LUT.
It seems that something is wrong with calibration or its usage.
What can be done to fix this?
Attached Images

igvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 08:19   #43522  |  Link
IanD

I'm attempting to play 3D @ 60fps to an LG OLED in PC mode using LAV, MPC-BE and MadVR in order to bypass as much processing in the LG as possible and have greater control. However this is proving more difficult than I imagined, not least of which is both MPC-BE and MadVR have settings for the 3D output format which may be conflicting. I wasn't sure which forum is most appropriate since I don't know which software component is most contributing to the issues. I'm using an i7 2600 and GTX 1050 with 4k60p RGB Full Range output.

As a preliminary question, I have come across comments that MadVR only works with MPC-BE x86 and not x64: is this still true, or doesn't it have an impact on speed anyway?

If I set 3D output in both MPC-BE and MadVR to line interleaved, I get a 1920x1080 window on the desktop that is 3D when I put on the passive glasses. Statistics say it is a 1920x1080 video, yet line interleaved should be generating a 1920x2160 window IMO, which means there is scaling happening before the window is output. Rendering is ~ 30ms with all scaling Bicubic75 and no other processing. When in fullscreen windowed mode, it seems to be correct 3D, but rendering increases to ~60ms and there are many dropped frames.

There is obviously unwanted scaling (ie I don't need a 3D window on the desktop if it reduces processing load) happening in windowed mode, but I'm not sure if it is also happening in a similar way for fullscreen windowed mode: that is, maybe the 1920x2160 decoded 3D interleaved frame is being scaled to 1920x1080 for display in the window, then being scaled back up to 3840x2160 for display in fullscreen windowed, losing detail in the process. Or have I got this wrong and the window is correctly processing the decoded frame separately for each situation? There should not be a huge scaling overhead in scaling a 1920x2160 interleaved frame to 3840x2160.

I'm also confused over having 3D output format settings in both MPC-BE and MadVR: what should I set each one to in order to get unmolested line interleaved 3D with the least processing overhead?

If anyone else has experience in doing the above for the best PQ and least processing load, I would appreciate some tips.

Last edited by IanD; 28th April 2017 at 08:22.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 11:37   #43523  |  Link
huhn

did you hanged the nvidia power setting? if not change them to adaptive.

64 bit is faster for software decoding and madVR works totally fine with 64 bit. ignore the 3D settings in mpc be for now or use mpc hc until 3D works as it should be.

my guess is that these mpc-be settings are for EVR and or the subtitle filter.

leave madVR at interleaved 3D for now
after you did all this make a screen of the OSD.

60 FPS scaling isn't easy for a 1050 so the load will be quite notable.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 12:47   #43524  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
60 FPS scaling isn't easy for a 1050 so the load will be quite notable.
Will look into your suggestions.

Actually, 1080p->4k @ 60fps with Bicubic scaling and smoothmotion has a render load of about 7ms on the GTX 1050. 3D seems to be a different matter, at least with my current configuration, although theoretically it should be less because 1920x2160->4k only needs scaling horizontally.
Old 28th April 2017, 22:10   #43525  |  Link
chileverde

Playback is suddenly stuttering/skipping

I've been using MadVR (currently v0.90.13) with Kodi DSPlayer 16.1 on my Windows 10 HTPC for a long time with no problems, but just recently started experiencing video/audio stutters two or three times per hour of playback. The best way I can describe it is like a skipping vinyl record, where the same millisecond of audio/video repeats in a rapid-fire machine gun fashion for 1-2 seconds. Sometimes the video/audio are out of sync afterwards and I have to stop and restart playback.

Interestingly, the MadVR playback stats don't recognize these stutters as frame repeats or presentation glitches - it seems like as far as MadVR is concerned, nothing is awry, which makes me wonder if something else in my system is causing the problem.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by chileverde; 28th April 2017 at 22:19. Reason: typo!
chileverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 00:07   #43526  |  Link
ryrynz

First thing I'd do is try using another player then rolling back drivers. A system restore point set before these issues occurred could be worth a shot.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 00:37   #43527  |  Link
chileverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
First thing I'd do is try using another player then rolling back drivers. A system restore point set before these issues occurred could be worth a shot.
Thanks. Do you mean rolling back graphics drivers? I'm on Intel HD 4400 graphics through my CPU, and I haven't been aware of a driver update in a very long time, unless it could have been an automatic update in the background. I'll check.

Trying a different player is a great idea. I'll try MPC-HC with MadVR, same settings, and see if I experience the same issue.

I've been having this issue for at least 6 months (been lazy about trying to solve it), so I'm not sure what system restore points are available but I can check. That would leave all my personal files in place but roll back the OS, drivers, installed programs, etc, correct?
chileverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 07:29   #43528  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
after you did all this make a screen of the OSD.
Easier said than done: photo is the best I could do, with playback on pause.

Render times are around 18ms with MPC-BE x64 Bicubic75 for all scaling
Render times are around 45ms with MPC-BE x64 Bicubic75 for all scaling plus smoothmotion enabled.

I'm not certain, but the image looks a bit softer than I would expect, so I wonder if the process is throwing away lines and then scaling back up again for presentation because it does mention the image is 1920x1080 and it does present in a 1920x1080 window. However, it does sort of work.

I have to stop the LG OLED from orbiting the screen, otherwise the eye views swap after a time period. Also, because I'm driving the desktop effectively as 2D, the LG doesn't detect 3D and automatically switch into 3D mode with extra OLED Light, so I have to manually use a different preset to watch 3D. Apart from this, it works well because I can watch 3D and 2D just by putting 3D glasses on or removing them and the desktop doesn't change hugely.
Attached Images

Old 29th April 2017, 10:28   #43529  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunnar View Post
I am curious to know why your don't want the metadata on your JVC projector?

I also got a JVC(RS-420) and I feel like I do want the metadata to be sent to the projector.
When a JVC projector receives HDR metadata it gets locked into HDR mode. This doesn't actually do anything other than turning off the dynamic iris and defaulting to a JVC predefined HDR-gammacurve. The major selling point for a JVC is the black levels, hence we want the dynamic iris. Also, custom gamma curves give better results than JVC's own solution so it's nice to have a user mode properly setup for HDR that doesn't default to a worse JVC curve.

The current go-to solution to get the best result with UHD material is to buy an HDFury Linker for 200$ in order to strip the hdr metadata before the JVC receives it. With Madvr, we are basically getting this functionality without having to buy a separate device.

All information can be found on avsforum.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 14:21   #43530  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
With Madvr, we are basically getting this functionality without having to buy a separate device.
Just from curiosity - what is problem to set new EDID for the projector without HDR tags? This make system wise solution.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 16:50   #43531  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
Just from curiosity - what is problem to set new EDID for the projector without HDR tags? This make system wise solution.
I am not sure that I understand your question. The Linker is needed in order for a UHD player to send HDR (tells the player that "yes this display is HDR capable", so the EDID to the player needs to say "HDR capable" etc.) but from the projector's point of view it doesn't get the HDR flag. Unfortunately there is no other way to accomplish this atm. One would hope JVC could allow the user to set up HDR in a custom mode with functioning dynamic iris. But this is sadly not possible.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 18:38   #43532  |  Link
Dark Eyes

Nvidia drivers & GTX1060 settings

I'm currently using Nvidia drivers 376.53, with MadVR v91.9 with a GTX750Ti outputting @ 1080p.
I'm about to upgrade to a GTX1060, so I was wondering which Nvidia drivers people are using.
Also, has anybody got any suggested MadVR settings for the GTX1060(3GB), that I can use as a baseline to start from?
Dark Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 18:43   #43533  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

People have been reporting issues following Windows 10's Creators Update, but nothing affecting a specific Nvidia driver. So probably just get the latest one. Just make sure the power management mode in the 3D settings is set to Adaptive (either globally or as a profile for your media player of choice).
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 19:17   #43534  |  Link
XMonarchY

I don't think it is actually possible to use FullScreen exclusive mode after Creator's Update. Before the update, if you were moving your mouse when MPC-HC/madVR were in FSE, it would drop out of FSE (into non-exclusive borderless fullscreen mode) you would see this obvious "hard-refresh" for half a second on your display, then, when you would stop using your mouse and leave PC idle for 3-5 seconds, the same "hard-refresh" would happen and MPC-HC/madVR would be in FSE again. Well, the "hard-refresh" does not exist in Windows 10 after Creator's Update - I think due to its overlay thing, it does not allow anything to run in FSE mode... I know disabling Fullscreen optimization on MPC-HC.exe and madTPG.exe does nothing. I hope disabling Game Mode and restarting PC will fix it...
Old 30th April 2017, 01:03   #43535  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I don't think it is actually possible to use FullScreen exclusive mode after Creator's Update. Before the update, if you were moving your mouse when MPC-HC/madVR were in FSE, it would drop out of FSE (into non-exclusive borderless fullscreen mode) you would see this obvious "hard-refresh" for half a second on your display, then, when you would stop using your mouse and leave PC idle for 3-5 seconds, the same "hard-refresh" would happen and MPC-HC/madVR would be in FSE again
Microsoft just made the switch to exclusive mode more seamless if the display mode remains the same (ie. no refresh or resolutiuon change), but you still run in exclusive mode.
There is definitely still a brief flicker when it enters FSE, although much less pronounced and by default doesn't trap the mouse anymore.

The most relevant setting to turn off to prevent windows from interfering with fullscreen mode is "Show Game bar when I play full screen games" in the settings app.

On another note, "Game mode" is entirely unrelated to any of the graphics things. If anything, disable "Game bar" only, it is what controls the overlay, not Game mode.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th April 2017 at 01:14.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 01:10   #43536  |  Link
arrgh

Judder with Intel Graphics in 3D and 2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Unfortunaly 3D output requires D3D11, and for some users, using D3D11 with Intel GPUs results in this "jumping". I've not yet found a way to fix it, probably because I can't reproduce it on my old HD4000 GPU. I have a new Kaby Lake PC sitting around here, maybe I'll be able to reproduce it with that, then maybe there's hope to fix this, but I can't say for sure right now. FWIW, this problem does seem to be limited to Intel GPUs.
meanwhile I had to realize, that also in 2D a similar phenomenon occurs, if Subtitles are displayed (I use the xysubfilter). Until the first Sub comes everything is alright, but once a Sub is displayed, the juddering starts.
In some Videos even pause/Play can provoke this;

Not always, but in some cases this can be stopped (in 2D at least) if one moves the mouse cursor down, so that the progressbar is displayed;

I hope very much that you will be able to fix this. Thanks.
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 01:16   #43537  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Microsoft just made the switch to exclusive mode more seamless if the display mode remains the same (ie. no refresh or resolution change), but you still run in exclusive mode.
There is definitely still a brief flicker when it enters FSE, although much less pronounced and by default doesn't trap the mouse anymore.

On another note, "Game mode" is entirely unrelated to any of the graphics things. If anything, disable "Game bar" only, it is what controls the overlay, not Game mode.
Ah... got it!

You cannot enable Game Mode for specific games without the Game Bar. Game Mode set to ON simply means "Allow the use of Game Mode" without enforcing it, but you have to use the Game Bar to actually select and activate Game Mode for whichever game. Launch any supported game, press Win + G to make Game Bar show up and there will be a "Enable Game Mode for This Game" box that you tick. That is what Microsoft says here - http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/...e-gaming-on-pc , although it says Game Mode may be activated for some games (the box already ticked), I never had that happen with my games.

What is weird is I think too few people are looking into the issue of Creator's Update causing dropped frames and glitches in madVR, even when Game Mode, Game Bar, and FullScreen Optimizations are disabled. I still can't use 23.970Hz without having severe frame drops and glitches, but I am fine at 24.000Hz. That only makes me lucky that 24.000Hz works, but for many others it does not.

Last edited by XMonarchY; 30th April 2017 at 01:19.
Old 30th April 2017, 01:27   #43538  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
You cannot enable Game Mode for specific games without the Game Bar.
So figure out what you want. Disable the Game bar or accept that it can interfer with any D3D application. Game mode is largely fluff anyway, so if you care about video playback then just disable the game bar. Or turn game mode on for the games you play and then disable the bar.
Old 30th April 2017, 04:40   #43539  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
So figure out what you want. Disable the Game bar or accept that it can interfer with any D3D application. Game mode is largely fluff anyway, so if you care about video playback then just disable the game bar. Or turn game mode on for the games you play and then disable the bar.
As I have CLEARLY stated - disabling any or all of the items related to Xbox Overlay, Game Bar, Game Dvr, Game Mode, FullScreen Optimizations has absolutely 0 effect on playback behavior that began to occur after Creator's Update.
Old 30th April 2017, 04:50   #43540  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
As I have CLEARLY stated - disabling any or all of the items related to Xbox Overlay, Game Bar, Game Dvr, Game Mode, FullScreen Optimizations has absolutely 0 effect on playback behavior that began to occur after Creator's Update.
Microsoft must have changed something fundamentally.
Movies & TV app now refuses to play hevc 10-bit clips.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling